Advice on teaching in China

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

katenic

Advice on teaching in China

Unread post by katenic »

My boyfriend and I are currently researching the possibility of moving to China to teach. I am a qualified Primary school teacher and am currently doing my TEFL course. My boyfriend has his TEFL qualification (weekend and the long distance learning course).

We are generally looking for advice on how to find work on arrival. Does anyone have any good contacts or good places to look for work? WHat are good signs of schools with good repuations? Students?

We are currently thinking about teaching in one of the major cities with access to ex-pat networks. We are aiming to arrive in October.

Thank for your help!

Kate
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: Advice on teaching in China

Unread post by jasminade »

Welcome Kate.

I am in China now and in order to help I just need to know where you and your partner are going to, where you are coming from, what type of students you would like to teach and what qualifications/experience you would bring. I know a few people now (China is a great place to network) so I might be able to help.
katenic

Unread post by katenic »

Thanks Jasminade,

Ideally, we would both like to teach children (we both will, by then, have our TEFL and I am a qualified teacher, Greg also has two years experiences working with a childrens charity as a volunteer counsellor).

We will actually be coming from India where we would have spent some time visiting orphanages that we have previously worked in.

We would like to teach in China but also get involved with some charity work or such like, what are the possibilities of this? Right now we are looking for information about different parts of China that may fit this spec. We are quite keen on travelling around so somewhere with good transport links but somewhere where we can get invovled with the community.

Also, I am not sure that we want a teaching contract for one year, I have spoken to a few people who think we maybe able to get shorter contracts. What do you think about this?

Where abouts are you based? It would be great to hear about your experiences and how you came about teaching in China.

Thanks in advance

Kate
jasminade
Rising Star

Unread post by jasminade »

katenic wrote:Thanks Jasminade,

Ideally, we would both like to teach children (we both will, by then, have our TEFL and I am a qualified teacher, Greg also has two years experiences working with a childrens charity as a volunteer counsellor).

We will actually be coming from India where we would have spent some time visiting orphanages that we have previously worked in.

We would like to teach in China but also get involved with some charity work or such like, what are the possibilities of this? Right now we are looking for information about different parts of China that may fit this spec. We are quite keen on travelling around so somewhere with good transport links but somewhere where we can get invovled with the community.

Also, I am not sure that we want a teaching contract for one year, I have spoken to a few people who think we maybe able to get shorter contracts. What do you think about this?

Where abouts are you based? It would be great to hear about your experiences and how you came about teaching in China.

Thanks in advance

Kate
Hello

Like the others, I think I should have a signature that says "sorry I am late getting back but it has been really busy..."

Anyway, for the questions that you ask on the broader theme on travelling in China, vounteering, et cetera, visit:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/forums.php

Now if ever a site on China in general... this is a good one!

I am in Shenyang in the North West and I know from experience that there are many possibilities in teaching kids. Just remember that the classes are generally big! I might be able to help you with that one.

A final note is that if you do come up this way, give me a buzz, and I will see what I can do for you. pm me as I often visit this wonderful site.

I am part of a company from Ireland that is treading its footsteps lightly beside the great dragon that China is. You will love it here! And I teach kids for four hours a week (I have a number of jobs!) and I love it!

Good luck! Get in touch!