Medicals- Anxiety Disorder

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

shar123

Medicals- Anxiety Disorder

Unread post by shar123 »

Hello, I'm interested in the program and teaching in China. I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on medical requirements, I suffer from an anxiety disorder but really really want to do this, I'm wondering if it will be something I will not be "allowed" to do because of it. Thanks. :?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Medicals- Anxiety Disorder

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Well, teaching is not exactly a stress free profession but, there again, which one is? ;)

I believe you will need to provide a clean bill of health in order to get your visa so if your condition is a clinical one and it has been recorded as such on your medial records than you might have a problem.

However, if your anxiety is a manageable one and you believe you can control it then I don’t think you would need to mention it in your application.

With regard to a stress free training program, you may want to consider an online course as opposed to an on site one.

You can find good online courses that provide quality training and allow you to work at your own pace. Having no deadlines but those which you set for yourself is a great advantage.

Working on a course with a flexible schedule where your personal tutor can be contacted 24/7 or your coursework can be submitted whenever ready has allowed many of our trainees to complete successfully their TESL/TEFL Certificate course, further their knowledge and gain better prospects of employment.

I hope this helps
Tyson

Unread post by Tyson »

I have had a lot of anxiety and depression problems myself. I am looking to go to Russia in september to start teaching TEFL.

From my personal experience I would say an Online course is probably a bad idea, it may be a way of putting off the reality of teaching till its too late and your in another country. If you really want to get a feel of what teaching TEFL is like you should really take a hands on course where you would have some time to practice teaching before you are at a real job.

The most important thing to remember for anyone with anxiety problems like myself is that you have to be sure you are ready, you have to be Sure you are confident enough to teach a class in another country.

The way Im looking at it for me it could go both ways, it could be the best thing to ever happen for me to be able to leave to another country and just let go of all my problems and worries and start a new career and a new life in another country, but if it all goes bad, the job doesnt work out, the class doesnt work out, you could be stuck in another country and unsure what to do next.

So just remember, only You will know if you are ready. You have to have the confidence that you will be able to figure out what to do No Matter What happens.

So if you can I would really recommend to take a hands on course to really get an idea of what teaching TEFL is, because being able to speak english is way way way different than trying to teach English to people who speak another language.

I hope this helps and Good luck.

Tyson
shar123

Unread post by shar123 »

I appreciate both replies. Thank you!! I will be taking a course this June I'll see how that goes!

;)