newbie teacher!! needs urgent assistance- ccq's/timelines

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

BJardIm

newbie teacher!! needs urgent assistance- ccq's/timelines

Unread post by BJardIm »

Hello guys

I'm struggling with checking for understanding, I can't get my head around it!!!. I seem to confuse students even more when concept checking. Whats it all about, Can someone please help or guide me with the following.Are timelines useful for checking understanding?

When I arrived she had left

why don't we by him a theatre ticket

he's appeared in public twice in the last two years

I am used to walking in the desert
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: newbie teacher!! needs urgent assistance- ccq's/timelines

Unread post by jasminade »

BJardIm wrote:Hello guys

I'm struggling with checking for understanding, I can't get my head around it!!!. I seem to confuse students even more when concept checking. Whats it all about, Can someone please help or guide me with the following.Are timelines useful for checking understanding?
Sorry for taking some time. I am sure that most of us are busy bees. I will try.

When I arrived she had left

With the Past Perfect tense, it is useful to use a time line. This is in order to answer a question that a student asked me many moons ago: "What is the difference between Past Simple and Past Perfect". Well a time line will show that we use the Past Perfect when referring to an action or a state that is in reference to another past action or state.

why don't we by him a theatre ticket

Some ccqs would be useful here. The tone of the question implies a suggestion, therefore, I would ask the students, "Does he want to go to the theatre?"; "But he was no money"; "He has been so friendly and is good fun to be with...?" I am sure you can think of something better along those lines. :)

he's appeared in public twice in the last two years

Again, a time line would be helpful. All Perfect tenses deal with time periods (even when referring to experiences, for example, you still refer to something in the past - hence the use of the past participle) so the line could be marked twice by yourself on the white/blackboard showing when he appeared.

I am used to walking in the desert

ccqs here. "I have walked in the desert many times. At first it was difficult, but with a little time..." You could start here and then base your questions on this concept.

Hope this helps.