TEFL Course Legitimacy/ Teaching in Greece

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Caz

TEFL Course Legitimacy/ Teaching in Greece

Unread post by Caz »

I was wondering if anyone could help me sort out which courses are reputable and dependable. I am currently in my final year at university and will complete my Bachelor's degree in May 2008. I would like to teach English as a Foreign Language in Greece during the 2008-2009 school year. When should I take a course in order to achieve this? I have been looking at courses offered through Oxford Seminars and the Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment (Via Lingua course in Corinth) as well as the online i-to-i course. Does anyone know which of these courses would be best? Are there other programs out there that would guarantee my employment?

Thanks in advance for any help.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Course Legitimacy/ Teaching in Greece

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Caz wrote:When should I take a course in order to achieve this?
You should aim at holding your Certificate by the time you leave. So I guess you could well start now on a course.
Caz wrote:I have been looking at courses offered through Oxford Seminars and the Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment (Via Lingua course in Corinth) as well as the online i-to-i course.
Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment (Via Lingua course in Corinth) has been blacklisted on the TEFL Blacklist see http://teflblacklist.blogspot.com/2007/ ... tment.html Before you make any decision, I’d advice you take a good look at what has been said by people who registered with this company.

Caz wrote:Does anyone know which of these courses would be best?
It really depends on how much time, money, and commitment you are prepared to invest. There are quite a few good courses both online (online being the most economical option) and onsite to choose from. You could start by taking a look at TEFLWatch.org. This is a site where TESL/TEFL courses and course providers are independently reviewed and rated.

Caz wrote:Are there other programs out there that would guarantee my employment?
Simply stated there are no certificate courses that will automatically guarantee you employment. Unfortunately there is no Independent Board of Accreditation for TESL/TEFL Certificates and Diplomas. This means that each institute, school, or organization recognizes their own Certificate and accreditation comes from good practice, professional standards and reputation.

All our ICAL Certificate holders who now work in various schools around the world, including Greece, have greatly benefited from their ICAL Certificate training and related papers. However if you are concerned about the validity of the certificate, then the only sure way to find out is to talk to the school(s) where you'd like to work. They will have their own preferences.
Caz

Unread post by Caz »

ICAL_Pete, thank you so much for your advice and for the link to the blacklisting of the Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment as well as the link to the TEFL Watch site. Is there a more direct way to find Greek schools hiring TESL/TEFL teachers than slogging through the postings online?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Apart from working your way through the employment sections of sites like this one, or http://www.eslemployment.com, http://www.free-esl.com, the Guardian online, Dave’s ESL café, etc. you could try and get hold of a list of language schools in Greece and contact them directly. Not all schools that need teachers advertise online, so it’s worth calling them on spec.
greekgeek

Unread post by greekgeek »

ICAL_Pete, I wouldn't give too much weight to the blacklist. It looks like they've included pretty much everybody in EFL in their recycled reports of gossip and hearsay. They're anonymous, unaccountable and totally lacking in credibility.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Whilst I agree that any blacklist is not “the be and end all” I feel that giving people who have had a bad experience the opportunity to recount it, is important for anyone who wants to get impartial information. Or should we just go by paid ads and cunningly disguised endorsement?

As for them being anonymous, unaccountable and what not, I don’t see how your predicament is different. All we know about you is your pseudonym. Should we doubt what you say because of that?
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

The site is actually pretty credible. The people that run it do their best to look at both sides of the story. If a school has been mentioned on it, it's wise to research them further
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Emma1310

Unread post by Emma1310 »

I found my CELTA course through the Cambridge site. I'll be doing it at CELT AThens next month so I'll let you know how it goes. There's also a CELTA accredited school in Thessaloniki. If you were to do your course over the summer, this would be good timing to find a post for September/October.

I've been looking onlline for posts in Greece for a couple of months now and I have to admit that adverts are few and far between, apart from the ubiquitous Anglo-Hellenic. Admittedly I know there must be two sides to this story but I shall be wary of them to say the least. I'm going to look for posts while in Greece as that way I can visit schools easily.

There are reports that a certificate of proficiency in Greek is now required for teachers but I'm uncertain whether this applies to language schools as well as state schools. I'm really hoping it isn't.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Emma1310 wrote: There are reports that a certificate of proficiency in Greek is now required for teachers but I'm uncertain whether this applies to language schools as well as state schools. I'm really hoping it isn't.
The following is a link to the official website of the Greek Ministry of the National Education and Religious Affairs. It gives an outline of the main requirements for issuing a Teaching License to a Foreign Educator who wishes to work in a state school. On the Ministry website under Teaching Languages you will also find info on the State Certificate of Language Proficiency (KPG)

http://www.ypepth.gr/en_ec_page1537.htm

You may want to post your query on http://www.greeceishome.gr and get replies directly from those teachers who are in Greece now. Greece is Home.gr is an English speaking forum used by foreigners who are currently living and working in Greece.

Hope this helps
Emma1310

Unread post by Emma1310 »

Thanks for the links. I'd seen the Greek government one before and thought it only applied to state schools but wasn't certain, so I'm glad you thought the same. Will check out the other link.