TEFL recommended books??

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

tommy

TEFL recommended books??

Unread post by tommy »

Hi.

Can anyone recommend any useful books that would be beneficial to read before attending a TEFL course. I am currently in India on the way to Thailand to persue a course and as you may imagine they have all sorts of wierd and wonderful books available, but I am stuck as to which author or title would make the best reading?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL recommended books??

Unread post by Susan »

Tommy

have you looked in the Tefl Helpdesk forum? Lucy's answered similar questions to this

Susan
ITTPrague

Unread post by ITTPrague »

Hi tommy!

My intention isn't to self-market our courses here so the following link is intended purely for the response requested by your post.
Here is the list of recommended reading which we suggest:
http://tefl-tesol-online.com/recomended-reading.html

All the best!

Neville :-)
Ruby

Unread post by Ruby »

ITTPrague wrote:Hi tommy!

My intention isn't to self-market our courses here so the following link is intended purely for the response requested by your post.
Here is the list of recommended reading which we suggest:
http://tefl-tesol-online.com/recomended-reading.html

All the best!

Neville :-)
Thank you Tommy for posting this question. And thank you Neville for posting this response. I just ordered the first two books on the list for my self-study. I was browsing the entire internet yesterday looking for a couple of appropriate books to start my own study before I commit to a specific course. R. Murphy's and M. Swan's books came up to the top of my list -- but I wasn't sure if I was missing other great resources. Alas, I was. I didn't see J. Harmer's contributions. So I ordered Practice of English Language Teaching and English Grammar Use. Granted, I got Harmer's book for $2 plus shipping as it is the 1991 ed. I figure what the hay? It's gotta have good stuff. I can get the 2007 w/ the DVD later....

So, thank you for helping me take my next step!

Ruby