TEFL course in China (possibly other Asian countries)

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

snusmumriken

TEFL course in China (possibly other Asian countries)

Unread post by snusmumriken »

Hello everyone! I just posted a thread with some questions about working in China and the possibility of saving money for a future bike trip.

In this thread I am asking for help with picking a TEFL course in China, or possibly other countries in Eastern Asia. Like many others I wouldn't feel good applying and paying for something (in advance) which I know nothing about quality-wise. It does not seem to exist any good resources with reviews of particular TEFL courses. There aren't any? Have any of you in here attended a TEFL course in Asia which you would recommend me?

I am currently considering this course. It is cheap (including accommodation) and they guarantee a job placement afterwards (but it's not mandatory, or..?). What do you think?

Any help is highly appreciated. :)

Jonas-
glenji

Re: TEFL course in China (possibly other Asian countries)

Unread post by glenji »

Hey Jonas,

Couldn't get the link to load, but a few things to look out for are how many hours, 120 hours is the minimum for a decent course, who are you teaching (if you are teaching other teachers in mock classroom then forget it) and what methodologies they are using, buzz words among others are "communicative" and "student centred". The best recognised qualifications are the Trinity Tesol and Cambridge CELTA. These will open doors for you most places you go. Don't know about the Tesol but two places run CELTA's here in Vietnam. Language Link in Hanoi and ILA in HCMC.

Here are the links

http://jobs.languagelink.ru/teacher_training/celta.php
http://www.ilavietnam.com/training/defa ... w&lang=eng

Hope it helps
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL course in China (possibly other Asian countries)

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

snusmumriken wrote: It does not seem to exist any good resources with reviews of particular TEFL courses. There aren't any? Have any of you in here attended a TEFL course in Asia which you would recommend me?
Actually there are a few sites that provide independent reviews of training courses. Start by taking a look at TEFLWatch.org. This is a site where TESL/TEFL courses and course providers are independently reviewed and rated.

As for an affordable but solid TEFL course that will prove useful in China you might like to check the ICAL 100hrs TESL/TEFL Certificate which, amongst other things, is accepted by the Education and Manpower Bureau in Hong Kong.