What book should I get to teach me how to teach?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

adamm

What book should I get to teach me how to teach?

Unread post by adamm »

Hello,
I will be tutoring English at a University in Tijuana next year while living in San Diego. I am looking for a recommendation for a book I can read to help me teach better. It would really help if you had a specific book in mind because I don't have too much time for experimentation.
Also, I would like to teach abroad farther south in Latin America later on this year. I am wondering if getting a certificate is still necessary or would my experience be enough. If it is, would an online certificate mean more if I have this experience with tutoring under my belt? Thank you for your time.

ADAM
Lucy
Top Contributor

Books to learn how to teach

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello Adam,

I'll answer your first question here and your second question in a separate posting.

To learn about teaching, I suggest you read The Practice of English Language Teaching by Jeremy Harmer. An Alternative would be Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener.

All the best,

Lucy
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: What book should I get to teach me how to teach?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Adam,

Unfortunately, in EFL, there is not a standard that can be applied to all countries. The best thing to do is to check out the sitution in your chosen countries. For ideas on this, you can see my answer about teaching in Peru of 12 September 2007.

It is often possible to get a job without qualifications but the more qualifications you have the more chance you have of getting a job. More importantly, you will have more chances of getting a job with a reputable school.

You also need to consider your own situation, if you want to teach abroad for one or two years, are you willing to invest money and time to get a qualification? If you are thinking of making a career out of TEFL, you will probably come up with a different answer.

Lucy