TEFL International in Prague

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

carrotdeity

TEFL International in Prague

Unread post by carrotdeity »

Hi everyone, first post and I just had a quick question. Okay, maybe a few...

I'm thinking of taking a TEFL Certificate course in Prague and work there afterwards, maybe a year or so... but I was wondering if I trained somewhere else, like... costa rica (long ways from prague, but this is just an example). would that impact my training too much that I wont be as effective and overall good at teaching English to people from the CZ rep.?
I know that the course run in different centers are probably the same, but there is that teaching practice that is with training with tefl international (I assume that they would be locals wanting to learn english...)

so costa rica locals : teaching practice but I'm planning on teaching in Prague. Will I be okay and the course content be good enough to save my butt or will I have to take the course in Prague too?

not that I don't want to take the course with tefl international's training center in Prague, I just wanted to take the course somewhere else so that I could go on a little adventure before starting on the real adventure in CZ Rep.

liza
jenfyre25

Costa Rica vs. Prague

Unread post by jenfyre25 »

Although the weather in Costa Rica will be much better, I would still recommend taking the course in Prague. I completed my certificate with TEFL Worldwide Prague (http://www.teflworldwideprague.com) and they have been so helpful with my job search and assisting me in finding the right contacts for where I wanted to teach. They offer lifetime teaching job assistance, so if you ever want to move around, they will be happy to help and have a huge database of contacts worldwide. Also, before I took the course I had absolutley no teaching experience and after I graduated, I felt prepared to teach almost any skill level and lanaguage ability. The course offered about 8 hours of actual teaching practice assessed by their very skilled and experienced trainers.

Hope this info helps! :)
carrotdeity

Re: Costa Rica vs. Prague

Unread post by carrotdeity »

jenfyre25 wrote:Although the weather in Costa Rica will be much better, I would still recommend taking the course in Prague. I completed my certificate with TEFL Worldwide Prague (http://www.teflworldwideprague.com) and they have been so helpful with my job search and assisting me in finding the right contacts for where I wanted to teach. They offer lifetime teaching job assistance, so if you ever want to move around, they will be happy to help and have a huge database of contacts worldwide. Also, before I took the course I had absolutley no teaching experience and after I graduated, I felt prepared to teach almost any skill level and lanaguage ability. The course offered about 8 hours of actual teaching practice assessed by their very skilled and experienced trainers.

Hope this info helps! :)
Is there anyone out there who wanted to take a course of action similar to mine (taking a cert course different from where I wanted to teach.) who is an actual person and NOT someone from a cert provider posing as someone who took a course just to advertise?

two posts, both urging thread starters to take his course...

EDIT:

anywho, reading up on newer posts, there are a few course providers that have something for EU countries like what k_elisabeth said on another thread.
But teflintl.com has training centers both in Costa Rica and Prague.

Anyone else have some advice? Still thinking of doing the country hop thing I'm thinking
chrisw

Re: TEFL International in Prague

Unread post by chrisw »

Dear Liza,

It is possible to do this, but understand that it will be hard for you to get hired from abroad. Your best bet is to start contacting schools in Costa Rica and see what they say. Mention that you will be taking an onsite TEFL course and that afterwards you want to come there. Also, any good course should be able to help you find contact and start with job assistance once you are accepted/paid a deposit. However, a lot of the work will still rest on your shoulders. About 20 percent of our trainees are not interested in working in Prague and want to go somewhere else. As long as they are active in job process, they usually turn out fine.

Good luck
Chris Westergaard
The Language House