Picture request in Application?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

danrunsfast

Picture request in Application?

Unread post by danrunsfast »

I just got contacted by a school in Taiwan in regards to teaching English. They request a picture be sent, and I am wondering what kind of picture is expected? A passport photo? A facial photo? A full body photo in a suit? Thanks!
Glenski
Rising Star

Unread post by Glenski »

Don't know about Taiwan, but I suspect it's the same as in Japan.

Give them a shot much like your passport. Dress professionally, have a neutral background, and shoot from the shoulders up.

Try to crop out your best buddy's arm hanging around you if you use a party pic of yourself. j/k
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Why do you think they want ot see a photo of you?
Kootvela
Rising Star

Unread post by Kootvela »

I don't think this is right. I've read that some schools discriminate against teachers who are, for example, of African American origin or are young attractive females. Your appearance should not be of importance if you are qualified to teach. I say email them and ask for their photos, too :-)
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Why would anyone discriminate against "young attractive females"? :D
Kootvela
Rising Star

Peter Easton wrote:Why would anyone discriminate against "young attractive females"? :D
In Arab countries, for example, they hire women only over 30, and clearly state that in their job applications. Also, preferably the husband also comes with his wife, not to teach but do some other work. I'm not against Arabic culture but such a way of life is a bit odd.
SMRT

Why the photo?

Unread post by SMRT »

Well, it is about image. A school wants an attractive and positive one. Employing fat, ugly or dangerous looking individuals may frighten the learners away.

As for Arab culture, one has to respect it. Of course, it has a historical socio-cultural reason.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Let's not kid ourselves here. The real reason this school in Taiwan wants a picture is to make sure he is ... white.

Many schools in Taiwan and China would rather hire a white European over a native English-speaking Asian person because to them it's all about image and perception over subtance and product.
Kootvela
Rising Star

Peter Easton wrote:Let's not kid ourselves here. The real reason this school in Taiwan wants a picture is to make sure he is ... white.

Many schools in Taiwan and China would rather hire a white European over a native English-speaking Asian person because to them it's all about image and perception over subtance and product.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, I've read on another forum that a teacher of African-American origin came to teach in China and he talked about what openr acism he had to go through...physical and verbal abuse included. I was horrified. Perhaps he could have been warned of the situation prior to coming if his ethnical background would have been made clear? Who knows.