Age discrimination?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

lnwelch

Age discrimination?

Unread post by lnwelch »

I recently retired from US Federal Service in Singapore and am residing in Thailand. I am highly qualified to teach English to foreigners and am enthused to take the ESL qualification course; however, I just turned 65 and would like to have an idea as to whether my age would limit employment opportunities in this industry.
larry
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Age is a factor in several Asian countries and often there is a cut off age, though sometimes exceptions are made.

Older teachers are perceived by some as being more likely to have health issues, low energy as well as being set in their ways. The public school board in Korea, for example, has lowered the age limit for public school teachers from 55 to 40, and 45 for teachers who have a lot of experience or education behind them.

Most schools prefer younger teachers in their twenties. This is perhaps because they can pay them less and manipulate them more easily. However, there are certainly many schools around the world which prefer older teachers as they feel they can bring authority to the classroom as well as greater experience and style to the lessons. Although most jobs won't specify an age limit, it is as well to let the school know when you apply how old you are to avoid them turning round and canceling everything once you send a photo over for your visa.
lnwelch

Thanks Pete

Unread post by lnwelch »

Pete: Thanks for quick response, I'll slog forward on the strength of your reply and see what develops. :)
larry
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

That's the spirit!

Good luck with it.