Pronunciation Methods Debate

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Monkey David

Unread post by Monkey David »

Recently I was in a debate about the best techniques to teach pronunciation. In summary, the debate revolved around two methods: modeled reading and phonics.

As a native speaker teacher ESL, I believe it makes no sense to teach phonics. Phonics is not one of the 'strengths' of a native speaker. While native speakers may know phonics inside and out, so could non-native speakers who teach ESL. So how would native speakers gain advantage of their 'natural' abilities in terms of teaching ESL?

Modeled Reading really is a great answer. First, it is much more interesting that teaching phonics, and second, the students will pick up natural voice inflections that would be lost with non-native speakers.
An example of a lesson plan using modeled reading is here:
http://www.eslmonkeys.com/teacher/lesso ... .php?id=78

I want to hear what others in the community have to say. I look forward to your replies.
-David
alex

Teaching pronunciation

Unread post by alex »

I don't agree with using reading to teach pronunciation.

First of all if you listen to native speakers reading a text, their voices often become monotonous and a lot of intonation is lost.

Secondly, using poems doesn't seem the best way. Poets often adapt pronunciation to fit with the rhythm of what they're writing.

I'd like to know what others say, too.
Piter

Unread post by Piter »

I think it's going to depend on how to read.
An another example of a lesson using modeled reading is here:
http://torono.info/freepron.htm
Piter
schetin
Rising Star

Unread post by schetin »

I'd fully agree with Alex.

My ha'p'orth,

Slava
cabsy83

Unread post by cabsy83 »

Reading is all very well but i am a native english speaker and i have problems reading out loud sometimes. therefore i dont think that reading helps all that well with teaching pronunciation