getting job in Japan with BA ELS and being non-native

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

alexfm

getting job in Japan with BA ELS and being non-native

Unread post by alexfm »

Hello everyone,
I read couple of posts related to a non-native's problem, but my situation is that I'm a non-native speaker, but I'll have a BA in English Language Studies with minor in TEFL from UK uni and after getting my degree I'm planning to try and go to teach in Japan, so will I need to get an additional certificate like CELTA etc. or my degree is going to be enough, as well as will it make harder for me to get a job, as I'm a non-native.
thanks in advance and don't be too harsh on me, as I'm new here :roll:
Glenski
Rising Star

Unread post by Glenski »

Yes, being a non-native English speaker, you can expect a negative response from quite a few people. You are just going to have to learn to shrug that off and deal only with the open-minded types.

Impress upon them your credentials.
Impress upon them any English language exams you may have taken.
Impress them with your strong command of the English language.

Will you need a CELTA? No, not for entry level work, and that holds even for native speakers. Entry level work is JET Programme ALT, dispatch company ALT, or eikaiwa (conversation school) teacher. JET is probably your best bet, and since the deadline for the annual applications is based on nationality, go look for it and apply soon!
alexfm

Unread post by alexfm »

Thanks a lot ;) about English exams, I'm going to take Cambridge ESOL CPE this year and I hope it'll give me some help in providing evidence that my English is on appropriate level :roll:
and maybe you can tell me a bit more about conversation schools, because, as far as I know country of my nationality (Latvia) is not included in JET programme...
thanks once again for your help :roll:
Glenski
Rising Star

Unread post by Glenski »

Conversation schools (called eikaiwa) are companies that offer English classes where students can brush up on grammar they learned the 6 years they studied in junior and senior high, or where students can pick up some additional fundamentals of conversational English, perhaps for traveling abroad, living abroad, dealing with foreigners in Japan, etc.

Many students treat eikaiwa not as a school, but as a gathering place to socialize and meet friends, perhaps gawk at a foreigner, etc. Going once a week like most do, they will really not improve their English unless they are very dedicated, and I don't think you can find that many.

Eikaiwa are a business, and the goal is putting butts in seats and keeping them there. It is often nicknamed "edutainment".
alexfm

Unread post by alexfm »

Hello and thanks again,
So you are trying to say that these conversation schools are not worth of consideration, as a place to start? Because I checked web-site of the ministry that is dealing with JET programme and didn't find my country in the list of countries that are particepating... and that's why thought that conversation school would be a good place to start :roll:
anyway, thanks for your help again, I really appreciate that :roll: