TESOL Dip. / DELTA - Online...

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

TESOL Dip. / DELTA - Online...

Unread postby Kameleonic » 12 Sep 2007, 07:41

Hello all.

I have been doing a lot of web-surfing, reading forums etc., including the one below here regarding the 'Online Debate', but I am still at a loss as to which company to choose.

I got my CTEFLA in 1993, and have been teaching adults since then, in England in the mid-90's and in Japan for the past 10 years. I have been interested in taking either the DELTA course or TESOL Diploma but various factors held me back. Now I feel ready to go for it, and make myself a more knowledgeable teacher with a license to help me get a position as teacher trainer or even DoS.

Financially speaking, the DELTA correspondence course with International House/British Council recognition is simply too expensive, not to mention awkward (two-week orientation halfway across the world). Therefore I assume that I am limited to the much cheaper TESOL Diploma, which worries me... Being much cheaper makes it what? Unrecognised? Cheap?!

From the modules the TESOL Dip. offers, I see that there are a lot of vital areas covered in the learning process, which of course is a good point. Now the problem is that while the DELTA course covers far more, the TESOL Dip. courses have less, but each course differs in required reading and learning.

How can we know which is most suitable?

I need a course that has peer guidance, i.e. a mentor, and one that is absolutely recognised by a well-known and reputable organisation. Unfortunately I only know International House and the British Council.

So far, I have not found a single forum thread written by a person who actually took an online diploma course! There are no recommendations it seems other than by the people who run the courses themselves.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Kameleonic
Registered Member

Unread postby Kameleonic » 18 Sep 2007, 09:50

I guess this is the problem then!

No-one knows :cry:
Kameleonic
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion