Where do I start

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Laura79

Where do I start

Unread post by Laura79 »

Dear Lucy

My boyfriend recently moved to French Guiana to work for the ESA
I will be joining him in October and hope to get some work teaching English. I recently completed a weekend TEFL course in Cardiff, this was brilliant but now feel my brain has information overload!

I would like to take out some lesson plans ready made for each age group and level but really don't have a clue where to begin.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Laura (Scotland) :?
Lucy
Top Contributor

How do I prepare for teaching?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Laura,

You could look at the following link for lesson plans.

http://www.tefl.net/esl-lesson-plans/index.htm

Having said that, I don't think it's wise to take out lesson plans without knowing your students. It's better to meet them and find out their level and needs before deciding on the content of lessons.

Rather than taking lesson plans, I suggest you take out some methodology and grammar books. The following are all very good: Halliwell, Teaching English in the Primary Classroom; Jeremy Harmer, the Practice of English Language Teaching; Murphy, English Grammar in Use.

I understand what you mean about information overload; there is a lot to learn in intensive TEFL classes. I suggest you re-read your notes from your course in a more leisurely way; taking time to understand everything and considering how you can apply it. You can also look through this forum where I have answered similar questions to this.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to write in again.

Good luck with this exciting move!