Cambridge School Verona

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Margi

Cambridge School Verona

Unread post by Margi »

Hi All

I feel a wee bit bad joining a forum and asking a question right off but... here goes...

Does anyone know what kind of reputation the Cambridge School in Verona has? I used to live in the north of Italy and want to go back some day and I fancied doing the CELTA course in Verona but I'd like to know if it has any kind of bad repuation before getting too keen on the idea.

Many thanks
Margi
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: Cambridge School Verona

Unread post by jasminade »

Margi wrote:Hi All

I feel a wee bit bad joining a forum and asking a question right off but... here goes...

Does anyone know what kind of reputation the Cambridge School in Verona has? I used to live in the north of Italy and want to go back some day and I fancied doing the CELTA course in Verona but I'd like to know if it has any kind of bad repuation before getting too keen on the idea.

Many thanks
Margi
Don't worry, post away. Right, I had a wee look for you and a number of factors might be useful.

Firstly, although it is more important for students of English, the first thing that I looked for, was if the school has any accreditation status with any serious academic organisation.
I say that, because an academic organisation such as the British Council* requires exacting standards which in return gives confidence to anyone using the school, for whatever purpose, whether to learn or to teach English.

Secondly, and more profoundly, they do offer CELTA courses but... they do not have the facility to offer the final examination, therefore, I presume, the final, qualification.

Cambridge University limits the examination facility for a small number of schools in each city if I remember correctly. That is the whole point for you, I take it.

You would probably be better looking in Scotland and then shooting off. Might even be cheaper, then apply directly to Verona's schools, citing your previous experiences there.

Good luck.
Margi

thank you

Unread post by Margi »

Thank you! I didn't even notice they couldn't offer the final exam :roll:

I don't really want to do the course in Scotland - my friend has just started the 4 week intensive and I doubt I'd be able to do it so I'd rather do the longer course in Italy as an extra 6 months here is something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks again for noticing that.

Margi
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: thank you

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Margi wrote:Thank you! I didn't even notice they couldn't offer the final exam :roll:
I think what the school in Verona wrote about the CELTA course they offer has been misread.

I had a look at the University of Cambridge's official site for ESOL examinations http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teaching/celta.htm

This is what it reads on CELTA:

You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge ESOL, moderates each course.

There are two components of assessment:

Teaching practice - You will teach for a total of six hours, working with classes at two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the six hours.
Written assignments - You will complete four written assignments: one focusing on adult learning; one on the language system of English; one on language skills; and one on classroom teaching.

To be awarded the certificate you must pass both components. There are three grades - Pass, Pass 'B' and Pass 'A'.

So there is no final exam to be taken for the CELTA course, regardless of which centre you study at.

As for the school's reputation, I’ve no knowledge of whether they are good or bad but schools around the world offering the CELTA course need to get annual check ups and approval from Cambridge so I guess if the school in Verona has been reconfirmed as an official center you should be alright.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I agree with what has been said (was just about to jump in on the no exam but was beaten too it...), being a CELTA provider does suggest a certain minimum standard but no more. Please note however that the British Council does not provide accreditation for any school outside the UK (in part because they would then be competing with that school for students), and therefore a school in Italy not being accredited doesn't say anything about quality one way or the other.