I need some advice

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

adz595

I need some advice

Unread post by adz595 »

I have just finished my CELTA and have an interview next week. I have been asked to prepare a 90 minute communicative lesson including Grammar point. This I am fine with but am just wondering how am I meant to make students talk for 90 minutes or does this simply mean that after the theory of the grammar point is taught and practiced in writing the practice is all oral?!

any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Before you start you must have a clear topic as well as a language point.

1. Start with a warm-up for 10 minutes. Circle some general questions.
2. A Q&A session where students practice the target language and topic of the class by asking each other a dozen questions. 20 min.
3. A vocabulary activity 10 min.
4. 5 minute break
4. A reading exercise and comprehension and extension questions 20 min.
5. A fairly complex situational role play 20 min
5. Review of the class 5 min.

I would avoid any writing exercises because the classroom is the one chance students get to speak the language.
adz595

Unread post by adz595 »

Thanks.

I've chose to to Simple Past as I have to work round a grammar point... basically going to introduce the context through a conversation text, then have them read it for meaning then recognition (thought give them a task for them to practice changing the from positive to negative to question just to make sure they know it)... after that do form... the drill pronunciation.

After that I'm going to give them a partner task which is a gap fill where they have to ask questions to get answers. This will be followed by semi-controlled task of asking each other questions. Then a freer where they make up their own role play around the whole "my weekend".... going to do cold error correction after each oral activity.... hopefully with the feedback and report back included it should make 90 mins!

I have never met the intermediate class! and I have a feeling they are only wanting to watch the grammar part... and then go by the lesson plan for the rest!
adz595

Unread post by adz595 »

Does anyone know what it means that this is a "group interview"
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

I suspect teaching a class about the simple present tense will be too easy for intermediate students. Try something like the present perfect (in contrast to the simple past), the passive voice or conditionals.
adz595

Unread post by adz595 »

oh no! I sent it all.... from experience of a low intermediate class in Montreal they dont know it (i taught it during my celta).... Im focusing on the question form mainly...

bit late now sent it to the interviewer tonight.... its one interview out of 8 this week....
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Ok, good luck then.