Who knows about spoof?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

bambang

Who knows about spoof?

Unread post by bambang »

Hi all,

Could you please tell me what spoof is? What's the difference from jokes? Could you please give me some examples of spoof?

Thanks in advance.
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: Who knows about spoof?

Unread post by jasminade »

bambang wrote:Hi all,

Could you please tell me what spoof is? What's the difference from jokes? Could you please give me some examples of spoof?

Thanks in advance.
A spoof is a lampoon or parody of something else. Good examples can be found in film, where certain genres were lampooned.

The cowboy and western genre of film was parodied in the film "Blazing Saddles".

The plane disaster films were parodied in the film "Airplane!".

The "cops and robbers" films were parodied in "Naked Gun".

The horror film genre was parodied in "Love at First Bite". (That might be the incorrect name, but I do know that the director was Polanski).

I hope that helps.
bambang

Unread post by bambang »

Dear Jasminade,

Thank you for the clear explaination.

Could you please post some examples of spoof which consists of more than ten sentences, like a short story?

Thanks in advance.
jasminade
Rising Star

bambang wrote:Could you please post some examples of spoof which consists of more than ten sentences, like a short story?

Thanks in advance.
Cheeky. It sounds like a good idea but would take time and thought. I am ultra busy at the moment but will keep the idea in mind.

Why not you try? Think of a film of a certain genre. Then think of the basic plot. Subvert that plot, for example, in the Life of Brian, a "Jesus" story, the main idea is that people are following Brian thinking he is the messiah.

Try it.
bambang

Unread post by bambang »

jasminade wrote:Cheeky. It sounds like a good idea but would take time and thought. I am ultra busy at the moment but will keep the idea in mind.
Ok. I'll be patiently waiting.

Thanks.
jasminade
Rising Star

bambang wrote:
jasminade wrote:Cheeky. It sounds like a good idea but would take time and thought. I am ultra busy at the moment but will keep the idea in mind.
Ok. I'll be patiently waiting.

Thanks.
PS. I was thinking just now about this, and the proper terminology:
Why not you try? Think of a film of a certain genre. Then think of the basic plot. Subvert that plot, for example, in the Life of Brian, a "Jesus" story, the main idea is that people are following Brian thinking he is the messiah.
This subversion is defined as a "conceit". Be careful of the word as it has a wide range of other definitions.