Online School openings?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

teacherjames

Online School openings?

Unread post by teacherjames »

Hi guys,

I run an online teaching site called Teacher James (http://www.teacherjames.com). We allow teachers to hook up with private students online through our classroom interface for one on ones or up to ten students at a time...all from their own computers. All the class rates, class times, etc. are agreed upon by the individual teacher and student. Once agreed and scheduled, we take payment from student and give it to the teacher. Everything is taken care of on Teacher James.

On top of that we have search engines to target specific teacher qualifications and our teachers can post 15 second Video Introduction Profiles so students can immediately see their native accent and personalities. Futher, our integrated Classroom Interface has whiteboards, screenshares, and the lessons are recorded that students watch online or download to portable players for review.

Currently, however, one major focus area for us right now is to approach companies and schools in rural areas (maybe one hour or more outside metropolitan cities) where it is harder to find native English speakers. These schools and companies still seek to learn English but because of the difficulty in finding teachers, they may not be able to. Teacher James allows them the opportunity to learn from their company or school online with our teachers. For example, this month we will start teaching a clothing manufacturing company located about 1.5 hours outside of Taipei. They do extensive business in 90 countries around the world, and they need their employees to be able to speak English (ranging from checking into hotels, ordering meals, to being able to tech support one of their products in another country). Right now, they’ve been paying extra for a teacher out of Taipei to travel to their company. And not only does the teacher have to wake up early, travel all the way out there, but then they have to teach 8 hours a day to Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginning classes. The feedback is that the teacher gets burned out by the time he gets to the end of the day.

We provide another solution for them. We set up a computer and a big screen monitor in their company classroom, and we will teach them online with our Teacher James staff. Their lessons will be fully recorded and our lesson plans will be multi-media and interactive (to include all the resources of the web, such as Youtube clips, CNN translated reports, and online English games like Hang-man, Bingo, etc.) Plus, we will give them a different teacher for their advanced classes, their intermediate classes, and their beginning classes. Our teachers will be fresh (teaching from home) and be specific to each level of class. It is a much better teaching environment overall.

In the future, we will be targeting these companies and then offering them teachers who are not only fresh and properly trained, but then also specialized. Because our teachers are teaching over the web, we will start recruiting “teachers” from the US or other areas who specialize in a specific field. Post graduate students, substitute teachers, etc. who are interested in making an additional $20-$25(US) an hour part-time from their homes. This gives us the ability to go to the small companies and “specialize” the teachers. For example, we could go to small clinics and hospitals in China and if they are interested in teaching their nurses and doctors basic English skills, then we would pair them up with medical students in residency or part-time nurses in the US to teach “English” but with vocabulary words specifically pertaining to medicine. This is much more valuable to the hospital staff than a recently graduated college student who is just teaching “A-a-apple”. Plus the US based teacher is much more committed and dependable than a post graduate student teaching abroad for the “experience” and probably will be moving to another country within 6-12 months.

Right now, we're recruiting teachers for our "Teacher James Staff". As a staff member, we'll ask you to go through a quick training process (a couple hours online so we can train you on our interface), give you sample lesson plans, and then try to hook you up with a comparative company in your field (basically give you a job).

If anyone is interested in learning more, please post a response here or send me an email at:

damon@teacherjames.com

Thanks!

Damon
Hubert
Rising Star

Unread post by Hubert »

Dear Damon,

I am most definitely interested in learning more - particularly as I am about to graduate from a Graduate Diploma in TESOL and am very interested in the possibility of becoming an online ESL/EFL teacher/tutor.

Can you please send me some more information?

Many thanks,

Yours,
Hubert.
teacherjames

Sent you an email

Hi Hubert, thanks for your interest in Teacher James. I sent you an email with some details about our Teacher Network and our website. If you do not receive the email, please let me know.

The first step is to register for a Teacher James account. You can choose a free Teacher James account, or go for the Professor account which has a lot more capabilities to it. Registration takes only a few minutes and then you will be up and running.

After you register, we can demo some of the interface for you and also send you some starter lesson plans for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Lessons.

Thanks!

Damon

damon@teacherjames.com
Hubert
Rising Star

Unread post by Hubert »

Thanks Damon,

I have received the email.

By what method can I expect payment to occur? PayPal? Swift code?

Yours,
Hubert Judge.
Hubert.
teacherjames

Yup, we pay teachers bi-weekly through Paypal or insured mailed check (just like a regular pay-day).

Paypal is of course the easiest and fastest way.

And you can always see your complete billing history of students, lessons taught, lessons charged, teaching fees, etc. within your profile as well.
mdc1

Online teaching

Unread post by mdc1 »

Hello Mr. James,

This is with reference to your post.

First of all, let me introduce in brief.

I am Indian, Male, 54, married, Bachelor of Commerce, presently staying in India. I am teaching Online since last 3 years. My students are from different part of the world.

I would like to associate you. I shall appreciate, you provide more details about the actual working. We use Skype/Yahoo/msn for text/voice chatting. Webacam is an optional. Please also note that shortly I will be visiting Tokyo. I will be there for couple of months, may be 1/2 years. I would like to continue my activity even in Tokyo. How about joining hands for mutual benefits. Your comments please.

I look forward to hear from you.

Mukund