All Help Appreciated....late starter

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

mooglie

All Help Appreciated....late starter

Unread post by mooglie »

Hi,

I am planning on getting going early 2008 to teach for a couple of years. Gravitating towards Chile, Japan and Thailand and wherever else it may take me. I have worked in roles involving training which I hope will stand to me. My main problem is I DO NOT have a degree. I will be completing a certificate though. If anyone can please help my questions are......

Is it important to get Cambridge 1 month cert in my circumstances? {1300 Euro}

Would I be disadvantaged greatly by doing {500 euro}
2 week course that is recognised by Dept of Education Ireland instead of Cambridge?

Is it a big barrier to be 37 years old and no experience?

What rough percentage of jobs are barred to me by not having a degree? Or which countries?

Is there a suggested starting place {preferably Chile/Thailand/Japan/South Korea} that I could get some experience to aid me getting other jobs in other countries?

Do I need to be in the country to go through the very beginning of the application process?

Any other help greatly appreciated

Thank You
shlee
Rising Star

Coming to Asia...

Unread post by shlee »

As far as coming to South Korea is concerned, you will be unable to obtain and E2 visa for teaching unless you have degree of some sort. A training certificate will not be enough...

A word of caution, there are literally hundreds of training providers out there, and they all offer a program of some sort...You must look for a program that offers a quality program that is affordable...I'll PM you some details, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the CELTA program you mentioned...In the end the host country is looking for people who are willing to instruct, which makes any time a good time to get your training credentials...

Hope this helps...
Niall

Re: Coming to Asia...

Unread post by Niall »

shlee wrote:As far as coming to South Korea is concerned, you will be unable to obtain and E2 visa for teaching unless you have degree of some sort.
The same goes for quite a lot of countries -- it's not the schools that insist, it's the Department of Immigration.

Check out the embassy websites for the countries you're considering for further information, or phone your local consulate.
mooglie

Unread post by mooglie »

Thanks Niall and Shlee
shlee
Rising Star

options...

Unread post by shlee »

Please be sure to plan well if you are intending to go somewhere and teach English...You may run into recruiters that will "fix you up" with a job, but be careful as they are most likely going to get you in hot water with their offers...