Fluent non-native seeks destination with non-retentive visa

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

newspeak

Fluent non-native seeks destination with non-retentive visa

Unread post by newspeak »

Hi all,

yes, I'm sure you're sick and tired of the "non-native" questions. But mine has a twist. So do, please, bear with me!

I am a newbie, and am looking for a destination which would accept a fluent non-native but which has non-retentive visa rules! ;-)

In a nutshell, I have Canadian citizenship, and have no issues with fluency or accent. So I do not expect, nor have I detected, any issues with the schools. (Being non-white, I am aware of the ethnicity factor. But that is not the topic of this post.) However, I am not considered Native for visa purposes, as far as Japan and Korea are concerned.

China always gets mentioned as an option in this case. But, AFAIK, inexperienced teachers have to be under 25 -- and I am much older than that.

I have looked at Indonesia, and they, too, may be sticklers for purity! Does anyone know any country with less-stringent visa rules for EFL? I am fairly open -- so long as I do not come back with debt -- and will be looking at Vietnam and Laos next.
I have a degree, my education has been in the UK and Canada since the age of 14, and I do not mind completing a 1-month intensive certificate course.

Any and all help, anecdotes and insights would be gratefully received.
newspeak

Re: Fluent non-native seeks destination with non-retentive v

Unread post by newspeak »

Hi again,

for the benefit of others, I'll provide some elaboration on the Korea and Japan visa issue.

Korean Immigration expects naturalised citizens to have become naturalised by the age of 12. Otherwise they are not considered Native for EFL purposes. IOW, it does not matter how long you have lived and worked in English.

Japan requires 12 years of education in English:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa ... x1.html#41

I fail both of the above criteria.
On the plus side, my non-EFL work experience may eventually lead to an opportunity in teaching business English.