school and recruiter info???

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Dom Evans

school and recruiter info???

Unread post by Dom Evans »

Hopefully you've got time to help me with my query. I am hoping to come to South Korea to teach and want to work in Daegu. I've just had an interview with a director of the Talking Club franchise. Does a school within this franchise denote a standard quality or can they take anyone? Are these a reputable franchise? It's a new school so unfortunately there's no possibility of email addresses of native teachers? Should I beware? Also I got it through the Eflelf recruiter, would you happen to know if these are a good recruiter to have? I think its probably those last minute nerves and the will I won't I take it. Thanking you in advance for any info or help on this.

Dominic
shlee
Rising Star

Caution is the Key Word...

Unread post by shlee »

It is really a tough thing to try and evaluate which school or franchise within an erea is reputable or not. The school you are talking about is a hagwon (private language school) like many of the thousands that are set up across the country all with different names. As a general rule, most people teaching at these schools either like them or they don't. There is hardly an in between opinion. I have been in South Korea for four years. The first portion of a year was spent in a hagwon, and the last three plus years in public school. You can probably guess from my last sentence which is my preference, but the choice is yours to make.

I would strongly suggest asking questions before making a decision about where to teach. There are way too many options available to you for you to make a hasty judgment call about one school or location. If the recruiter is being pushy or the people at the school are being pushy then that should raise a red flag to ask more questions and get more information.

Hope this helps a bit...Cheers
Dom Evans

Thanks

Unread post by Dom Evans »

Cheers Shlee, I passed on that one because the contract was very vague so am looking at a few others. Incredible just how many positions there are. Looking more for jobs where there are teachers already there. Thanks again for your info.
Dominic
shlee
Rising Star

Another point...

Unread post by shlee »

My humble advice would be to consider looking at a public school job. I work in Gyeonggi Province and they are very proactive in hiring for the public schools. Shoot me a private message and I can give you their contact information. I don't work for them, but they give out their contact info to teachers working in and around the Seoul region.