New comer, just wanna say hi to everybody...

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Rocky

New comer, just wanna say hi to everybody...

Unread post by Rocky »

Hi everybody, can anyone help me please?
Am a Chinese young man, 22 years old, got 4 years experience in Switzerland. Am planning to take a TEFL course this summer. But seeing someone said this certificate is a "Mickey Mouse certificate", does that mean it doesn't help in finding a job? Am currently in Beijing, really willing to be one of you, I'd appreciate your help...Thank you. ;)
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Rocky, TEFL courses are a certificates for native speakers wishing to teach English overseas.

Seeing as you are Chinese, it is probably more appropriate to have more extensive qualifications in English such as having majored in English at university or having completed a degree in the UK, USA, Australia etc.

Most Chinese tutors and teachers I know do not possess TEFL certs but have passed IELTS band 8.
Rocky

To Peter

Unread post by Rocky »

Hey Peter, thanks a lot for your reply!

I was not majoring in English in any English speaking coutries, neither do I have a degree. What I've done is just a 3 years Hospitality Management course in Switzerland. However, I don't see "Native speaker is a must" in the requirements listed, that's the reason I asked for someone who's already in the circle for help.

Peter, I've viewed some of your messages in the forum and consider you very much experienced in TEFL field, would you please kindly tell me if you know any Chinese teachers and how they made it? And how does IELTS help since it's only a English test but not a teaching training?

Thank you very much!
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Well it wont do you any harm to take a TEFL course although it may be rather expensive (approximately RMB 10,000 for a four week course).

TEFL certs are useful but not a prerequisite for Chinese teavhers of English. In fact, I don't know any Chinese staff who have this qualification. Usually the criteria for employment is a minimum of band 8 on the IELTS.

Obviously to get a teaching job you need to apply to schools and demonstrate your language skills.
Comenius

Unread post by Comenius »

Just to chime in and reinforce Peter's point, the TEFL is a good primer for native speakers looking to get a start in the field.

I've seen many non-native teachers doing well in other parts of the world, provided they have a reasonable accent, present themselves well, and deliver a meaningful classroom experience that resonates with students.

I think in large part it depends on where you want to live and work. Supply and demand. If you're trying to break into a very competitive market as a non-native speaker without strong credentials you could have a tough time. That being said, anything is possible!
Rocky

Unread post by Rocky »

Hey Peter, thanks a lot for your kindness... so, in your opinion, the efficient way for me seems to be having a IELTS test first, right? Well, I used to sit one in 2002 while I was 17 and got 8 at that time, but as you know, it is only valid for 2 years... by the way, any good recommendations on schools?
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

I really don't know about the schools in Beijing because I'm based in Shanghai but I would spread your net as wide as possible. Try the big chains like EF first.

I'm sure if you look in a business telephone directory or do a few Google searches and send your resume to 50+ schools you will get a good response.