Let your personality come through

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

ironjade

Let your personality come through

Unread post by ironjade »

Hi, appreciate if someone could help me to understand this sentence: "Let your personality come through". What does it really mean? Thanks.
keith

Unread post by keith »

In this context, the verb "to come through" means "to show" or "to be communicated".

So, "Let your personality come through" means "Allow your personality to show or to be communicated".

Imagine that you are going for a job interview, and someone is giving you some advice for the interview. They say "Let your personality come through". They are telling you not to hide your personality, but to allow the interviewers to see it.

Hope this helps.

Keith
ironjade

Unread post by ironjade »

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

Please help me to answer this question:

What does 'let your personality come through' mean?
A. To show your own point of view.
B. To show your character.
C. To make the audience feel that your speech is interesting?

The context is giving advise on how to give an effective speech. The paragraph is as follows:

"When you are making your speech, try to relax. Be yourself. Let your personality come through so that you can make person-to-person contact with your audience."

My choice is C since the context talks about giving speeches but B is also possible since personality and character are synonyms.

Please advise.
keith

Unread post by keith »

Remember that "let your personality come through" means "show the audience your personality". In this context, you would make person-to-person contact with the audience by showing them your personality, rather than by making them feel your speech is interesting.

So for me, the correct answer is B.

Keith