Changing Jobs in Korea

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 May 2005, 06:13
Location: Korea

Changing Jobs in Korea

Unread postby KoreaTeacher » 15 May 2005, 06:17

I am in Korea, but I am not satisfied with my job. I would like to change to another job - however, I am concerned that the law does not allow for someone to change their job on the same visa.

Does anyone know what would happen if I just left my job and went freelance/ found another job - what would be the likely repercussions?
Would I have to leave the country?

Registered Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 08:08
Location: S. Korea

Unread postby amm65 » 08 Sep 2006, 02:01

If you terminate employment, your E-2 visa, issued for work with one employer, is null and void. To work at another institution, you generally must get a Letter of Release from the current employer. Then, getting an E-2 for a new employer requires all new paperwork (signed contract, diploma, transcripts, photos, CV, etc.) and leaving the country to obtain the E-2 from an Korean embassy abroad.

Registered Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Feb 2007, 13:05
Location: Korea

Unread postby chris » 28 Feb 2007, 13:09

Can you advise what I need to do to get a letter of release from my current academy.

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Mar 2007, 02:34

you may not need to leave the country

Unread postby sherry » 21 Mar 2007, 02:41

If you are unhappy with your job, look for another job, explain why y ou are seeking new employment. It is my understanding that your new employer can ask your current employer to transfer the contract. If it is a private school, they might just do this for a fee.

Just ask the new potential employer. A potenital employer will most likely assume the cost of you transfering the contract visa or pay for most of your transportation costs if you do have to leave the country.

Return to “Jobs Discussion - Asia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests