TEFL qualification in China and a few questions

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

krys_k

TEFL qualification in China and a few questions

Unread post by krys_k »

Hi

I've always wanted to teach English and ever since I visited China two years ago, Ive always wanted to go back - anyway, I've made the decision to go to Beijing and study for a TEFL Certificate and then teach there but may I ask some questions please:

1. Any recommendations for a school to study?
2. What is the chance of getting work - Im looking to work in Beijing?
3. What is the average monthly wage and how does it compare with living costs? Where I am in Krakow, the teachers earn around $800 for a three day week, and the hourly private lessons are around $15 - but with so many people, they find it a struggle to find privates.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I'd rather ask and find out, than know nothing!

Many thanks.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Teaching salaries in China

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

You can live quite cheaply in China, as employment contracts for English teachers include free or subsidized accommodation, airfares and free basic health care.

As it often happens, salaries vary according to experience and qualifications. For example, in your average English school in Beijing an untrained, unqualified native English speaker on a 3 month contract with a workload of 16-25 hours per week can get paid RMB101-150/Hour per class.

In the same average English school in Beijing a native English speaker holding a degree + TESL/TEFL certificate and with at least 1yr teaching experience can earn RMB 5501-6500 per class. Foreign teachers on a one year contract are not subject to taxation.

ICAL Pete
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

There's a lot of work in China, just be careful of shady recruiters.
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching salaries in China

Unread post by Peter Easton »

ICAL_Pete wrote:In the same average English school in Beijing a native English speaker holding a degree + TESL/TEFL certificate and with at least 1yr teaching experience can earn RMB 5501-6500 per class.
Five thousand five hundred to six thousand five hundred per class? Are you out of your mind? That is over £300 per class.
Foreign teachers on a one year contract are not subject to taxation.
I don't think this is true. If you are working full time on a Z visa you must pay tax.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

ITTP wrote:Paid school wages tend to be very low (enough to cover shopping/accommodation, and basics).
This is not true. Wage rates are no less than Prague, the difference is that China is considerably cheaper than Czech so, in fact, teachers live VERY comfortably in China. In Shanghai the average rate is 150 (£10) per hour.