Which book do you recommend: Cutting Edge or Inside Out?

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Jerezgirl

Unread post by Jerezgirl »

The time has come for me to update my course books. I´ve been using Cutting Edge for a few years and overall I have been quite impressed. But times move on and the books are now out of date making some of the exercises impossible.

I see Cutting Edge have a new updated series out, so I could just buy that. But I just wanted to check that this would be a sensible thing to do before committing myself.

I see from my supplier that the number one best selling course book at the moment is Inside Out. I´ve had a flick through and it looks and feels good, but I have no experience of using it.

If anyone has experience of Inside Out, or even better, experience of BOTH Inside Out AND Cutting Edge, then I would love to know how they compare.

I really can´t decide between the two at the moment, so your opinions are really important to me and I will be making decisions based on the replies I get.

I probably should add that all my students are over 18, in small groups of no more than 6 and are all Spanish. I travel to businesses and do the class on site.

Thank you all.

Nicole
(Jerezgirl)
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Nicole,

Sorry I've taken so long to respond, I've been away on holiday.

I have used Cutting Edge and think it is an excellent book. I especially like the way grammar is presented ad practised. I’m familiar with Inside Out and this book also looks excellent. However, I think the presentation and practice of grammar is not treated as thoroughly as in the Cutting Edge series. I think that if you choose to use Inside Out, you would need to supplement the language sections. Having said that, I’ve never used the book and my opinion is based on looking through it.

I'm moving your question into the teaching adults forum so that other people can answer your question there.

Best wishes,

Lucy
Jerezgirl

Thanks Lucy.

I seem to be getting fairly constant positive feedback about the Cutting Edge series, so I think I may just stick with what I know and get the new series.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

I recommend 'Market Leader' published by Peason Eductation in the UK. It's a fantastic book, the best I have ever used. Business topics only though.
Jerezgirl

Thanks Peter. I am already using this book for my business classes and I agree, it is an excellent book.

It is the general English course books that I need to update though.
Kootvela
Rising Star

Unread post by Kootvela »

I advice New Headway Third Edition series. Updated in 2006 (the previous print was in 2000), they have better pictures, new listening texts, writing activities (you have a writing ready for every unit!) and also CD to wrokbook. I love Headway.