Degree verificaion procedures

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

BAM101

Degree verificaion procedures

Unread post by BAM101 »

Hello Everyone…This is my first post to this forum. I have a question about how and by whom Uni degrees are verified. Is this done by the country at the time a visa is applied for, or is it done by the school where one is applying for work? Also, do the certification schools like TEFL or TITC (or others) verify your degree, or will they simply accept my diploma as proof of my degree?

The reason I am asking this is because, although I do have a valid university degree (BSB), the college that I graduated from is no longer in operation. They closed their doors in the mid 80’s. I do have my original diploma and transcript, but verification at this point would be difficult at best.

So, I'm really looking for the answers to the following questions:

1. Do the CELTA/TEFL schools verify degrees?
2. Do the schools that are hiring verify degrees?
3. Does the government verify degrees when issuing work permits?

If the answer is “yes” to these questions, does anyone have experience similar to mine where verification is a problem due to the college no longer existing?

Thank you
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

I doubt it. You do not need a degree to enter into any of those courses. The thing is, in many countries (all of asia) you do for the most part. If you do not have degree, you won't get a job. Now if you work hard, you'll be fine, but don't blame your course provider if you have a hard time finding work after your training. Your best bet is to be as honest as possible with them. They should be pretty straight with you with what to expect.

However, you do have a degree. Its not your fault that the college went bust. Somebody, somewhere has a record of it.

Good luck
Chris Westergaard
The Language House