Pronunciation Methods Debate

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Susan

Unread postby Monkey David » 08 Sep 2004, 07:40

Recently I was in a debate about the best techniques to teach pronunciation. In summary, the debate revolved around two methods: modeled reading and phonics.

As a native speaker teacher ESL, I believe it makes no sense to teach phonics. Phonics is not one of the 'strengths' of a native speaker. While native speakers may know phonics inside and out, so could non-native speakers who teach ESL. So how would native speakers gain advantage of their 'natural' abilities in terms of teaching ESL?

Modeled Reading really is a great answer. First, it is much more interesting that teaching phonics, and second, the students will pick up natural voice inflections that would be lost with non-native speakers.
An example of a lesson plan using modeled reading is here:
http://www.eslmonkeys.com/teacher/lessonplans_d.php?id=78

I want to hear what others in the community have to say. I look forward to your replies.
-David
Monkey David

Teaching pronunciation

Unread postby alex » 08 Jan 2005, 19:47

I don't agree with using reading to teach pronunciation.

First of all if you listen to native speakers reading a text, their voices often become monotonous and a lot of intonation is lost.

Secondly, using poems doesn't seem the best way. Poets often adapt pronunciation to fit with the rhythm of what they're writing.

I'd like to know what others say, too.
alex
Registered Member

Unread postby Piter » 26 May 2006, 04:20

I think it's going to depend on how to read.
An another example of a lesson using modeled reading is here:
http://torono.info/freepron.htm
Piter
Piter
Registered Member

Unread postby schetin » 02 Aug 2006, 00:26

I'd fully agree with Alex.

My ha'p'orth,

Slava
schetin
Silver Member

Unread postby cabsy83 » 27 Jan 2007, 00:22

Reading is all very well but i am a native english speaker and i have problems reading out loud sometimes. therefore i dont think that reading helps all that well with teaching pronunciation
cabsy83
Registered Member

Return to Teaching Adults