Teaching in Japan with a non-BA degree

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 14:31

Teaching in Japan with a non-BA degree

Unread postby Ady » 05 Sep 2005, 14:39

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and took care to search for a topic pertaining to the title but was unable to find one. As a result, I created this. Apologies if it's already been covered somewhere and I missed it.

Anyway, following a recent, eye-opening trip to Japan, I'm considering the possibility of teaching English there (fFrom the many 'gaijin' I spoke to whilst over there, I understand TEFL jobs are quite common for foreigners in Japan). However, I don't have a full Bachelor's degree, but I'm a year away from completeing what's known as a Foundation Degree through my current employer. What I'd like to know, then is whether it's possible to teach in Japan with such a qualification (JET, for instance require BA degrees only). I am thinking of doing a TEFL course next year, but would like to confirm I could actually get work in my chosen country with a non-bachelors degree before I commence.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Oct 2006, 22:48
Location: Canada

Degrees are required

Unread postby lorichan » 26 Oct 2006, 22:57

in order to teach legally in Japan. The government has strict rules and only issue working visas for certain degrees. There is a webpage devoted to the ins and outs of the kinds of degrees acceptable, however, I can't remember it. You should start by searching embassy/consulate websites. Good luck.

Registered Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:53
Location: Japan

teaching in Japan

Unread postby Johnny » 30 Dec 2006, 05:35

I started teaching in Japan about 9 years ago and the requirement then with the big English schools was for any degree. This would qualify you for a visa to enable you to teach. There are many teaching jobs in Japan but they entail hard work and not such a good salary. If you love teaching Japan would be a way of getting good experience.
Good luck,

User avatar
Platinum Member
Posts: 209
Joined: 28 Nov 2006, 09:05
Status: School Admin
Location: UK

Unread postby ICAL_Pete » 17 Jan 2007, 18:15

The legal minimum qualification to get a Work Visa in Japan is a BA/BS degree from an accredited institute.

You might like to check "A Guide to Japanese Visas" on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan for more detailed info http://www.mofa.go.jp

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests