What TEFL location best suits my requirements? (see message)

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Azhaar2012

What TEFL location best suits my requirements? (see message)

Unread post by Azhaar2012 »

I need help deciding where to try my luck at finding a TEFL job abroad.

I am in the sorry position of kicking myself at the moment for having had to turn down Oxford for a PGCE because i can't afford that even with the government help. I'm jobless and on benefits despite having a Masters degree in Linguistics from a top university, and a batchelors in English and Linguistics and fed up of endlessly applying for jobs i don't get, and wish to get out of this prospectless country for a while and do something useful.

Here is what i'm looking for:
I'd prefer to go somewhere that does not require TEFL certification as i can't afford to do that without first getting a job, catch 22.

I would like a wage that would enable me to save maybe a thousand pounds while i'm living in the country OR that would offer me the chance to get TEFL while i was learning.

I would prefer a sixth month contract, not a yearly one, because i worry i will not be able to escape if i grow to loath the place.

I'm tempted by Asia but i'm concerned that it is a long way (and expensive flight) away from the UK if something goes terribly wrong and i am not paid, and as a woman it might not be safe to hitchhike across two continents, though it sounds fun. Please convince me other wise if i am being overly cautious.

The least of my requirements but still a possible consideration: I'm not really a city person, though i know this is where the best schools are. I'll live in a city etc, but i'd like to go somewhere with trees, woods...greenery, animals, nearby. Or somewhere with a lot of interesting historical/cultural features, somewhere pretty, and pretty interesting in other words. I'm really effected by my working environment, i'm an aesthetic sponge.
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

I think that your best bet would be teaching in South Korea. Most other places, it would be very hard to save 1000 pounds per month
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Micro67

Vietnam?

Unread post by Micro67 »

Vietnam might be the place for you. There are several schools offering certification and work is plentiful.
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

One thing that I want to say is that I have a lot of experience with new teachers since I run a TEFL course in Prague. I've probably been in contact with about 300 or more. The ones that don't have any savings, don't last. Stay in your own country, get a job and save for a few months. Then go
Chris Westergaard
The Language House