Employment in Italy

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Mariel

Employment in Italy

Unread post by Mariel »

Hi All,
I've been contacted by an ESL school in Italy through eslemployment.com for a job opening they'd like to fill.

It's a regular ESL teaching job, by all apparent means, but being the scardy-cat I am I thought it'd be wise to get some more info on them and teaching in Italy, in general. The school's called Connor Language Services, and according to their website it's a language institute in Milan that also provides English for specific purposes coaching, besides regular courses.

I'm not a native speaker but have acquired my familiarity with the language due to a period of time living in the US as a kid. I also don't have any teaching certificates, just a CPE and experience as a teacher here in Brazil, where my husband and I are currently based.

Having heard that the market's pretty competitive, especially when it comes to being certified and a native speaker (both qualities which I do not possess), I was quite surprised having been called for an interview - and even more so when I was told that the job description also included (partial) airfare reimbursement and that they'd be willing to arrange for a visa for my husband as well.

Anyways, I'd just like to hear from anyone if they've had any prior contact with this specific school or if the case specifics seem well within the range of normality. I appreciate everyone's help in advance and sorry for the long post!
alextj

Re: Employment in Italy

Unread post by alextj »

Hi Mariel,

I can't comment on Connor specifically - they're a competitor of ours here in Milan, so it's not my place.

Your teaching experience probably counts for a lot, and if I remember correctly they have an induction day or similar in any case for new teacher, as they have a specific method to follow.

Before arriving in Italy it's a good idea to check out these FAQs on teaching here, especially the ones about contracts and taxes: http://www.tjtaylor.net/FAQs

I hope they help,
Alex
MilanInglese

Unread post by MilanInglese »

Connors are good if you're an unqualified teacher. They accept more or less anybody, give them a week's training and then send them out to teach people who believe they are being taught by experienced mothertongue teachers.

Their 'method' like those of so many of the schools in the area is empty. The connor method consists (or did until 2 years ago) of using the same books as everybody else, but adding a TEMPO block - a few minutes each lesson on telephone, email, meetings, presentations and "optimisation". All this can be condensed into a dozen sheets of A4, taught in a few hours and will be used on every sucker, regardless of what he or she actually needs from his or her lessons. The company is run by a conceited, arrogant man called Paul and his sidekick dos. They talk to teachers as if they were teaching bum-wiping to mentally deficient donkeys and provide the best motivation I've ever found to push a teacher towards working for him or her self.

Like all the other schools in Milan, my friend, avoid them like the plague. Check out which of them have shut down this year without paying teachers, how many have failed to pay teachers but not had the manners to shut down.. You'll find the names if you look online.
Shazza

Unread post by Shazza »

Hi, I'm looking to work in Italy during the summer and/or from September onwards. Could you recommend any good schools or academies I could contact or are any of the places you work looking to hire. I have 2 years experience teaching in Spain and have a masters degree.
Mr_Joe

Unread post by Mr_Joe »

Mariel wrote:Hi All,
I've been contacted by an ESL school in Italy through eslemployment.com for a job opening they'd like to fill.
Hi Mariel,

How did you get on with the Milan job? Did you accept their offer?

I'm particularly interested because I've just accepted an offer to teach at a different language school in Milan. I'm not at all put off by negative comments above, because this school has been strongly recommended by the school I trained at here in Manchester.

Hi Everyone,

Do you have any experience of Italy / Milan? I would like to hear your impressions if so.

Thanks in advance :)

Joe
Adeline

Unread post by Adeline »

For starters, Connie is one of the best language schools you can work at. I worked there for three years. The entire system in itself is something you need to adapt to if you are used to American and Canadian ways. You are laid monthly. Keep that in mind. They are also the better paying one. I have worked for three different schools in Italy and this by far was my favourite. It's didactics are based on a TEMPO method that works efficiently for meeting and presentation and phone language but that being said you are the teacher and so you should put in the work, to keep your classes interesting. After reaching the method, I really engages with my students by finding current news and discussions that could enhance their vocabulary. I created exercises for them to do apart from their business language. As a teacher you should be able to decide what your students need are by the get to know period and by asking them what they hope to get out of their classes. Then you can gage the method accordingly. I also worked in Rome and was completely taken advantage of by a school there, paid poorly and fired because I was translating to a group of 6 year olds.. Learning English isn't a dictatorship nor should it be militant. Every school has their theories on the best way to learn but if someone has no idea of how to associate a word to something f they know, they won't learn it remember it. Do your research about the city and loving there. Milan is a beautiful place. Wonderful to live but also be careful. It is filled with all you could imagine.