Re: In What Country Can I Earn Most Money Teaching English?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Memphis

Unread post by Memphis »

Hey Star,

In Poland you can expect to earn an average of 35 zl/60 min lesson.
That's around $12/hour. I'm in Krakow, a modern metropolitan city. Living in the center working 30 hrs a week that wage is better than most. Considering living expenses (I.e. rent, utilities, food) I have 55% of my wages left over for personal use. So that's pretty good. Memphis
Volunteer
Rising Star

Unread post by Volunteer »

Singapore and Korea pay the best money outside of the Middle East. My brother is earning $4,000 a month + a furnished apartment in Dubai but he is bored to death with the country after only 6 months. I am headed to Singapore when my contract in China comes to a close. The pay in China is at the bottom of the pay charts.
Worlda

Unread post by Worlda »

The question should be "where can I SAVE the most money teaching English?"
It doesn't really matter how much money you make, if you are spending half of it on rent and the other half on bills. I'm from America, living now in China, and I've saved significantly more money then most of my friends in America 4 years after finishing university.
Cost of living VS salary should be the first thing on your mind. The best thing you can do is try to look up average salaries in a city. For example, the average salary in Guangzhou, China is 4,200RMB/month ($8262 a year.) The average salary in America is about $29000. Does this mean all people in China are poor? No, because the average cost of living in China is also about 1/3rd of the price in America. Foreign teachers in China make at least double-triple then the average salary, so saving money is quite easy. I've been in China since 2010 so I know this market pretty well, if anyone has any other incites on Japan, Korea, or Europe I'd love to know!

(sources - http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/e3 ... -large.png, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Histo ... the_US.png)
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Re: In What Country Can I Earn Most Money Teaching Engli

Unread post by Susan »

Worlda,

It's pleasing to read some positive info about China!

thanks
becki

Unread post by becki »

Worlda wrote:if anyone has any other incites on Japan, Korea, or Europe I'd love to know!
In Japan, I usually have 60% of my wages left over for personal use after all bills. Most Japanese companies pay housing subsidies and transportation to/from work, so this really helps out. Even though everyone says Japan is expensive, I feel I can live very comfortably.
EFL Sensei: Free EFL/ESL Lessons For Teaching English Overseas
http://www.eflsensei.com
teachnlearn

Unread post by teachnlearn »

Does anyone know what it's like savings wise in Bangkok?
becki

Unread post by becki »

teachnlearn wrote:Does anyone know what it's like savings wise in Bangkok?
I can save about the same rate of 60% in Bangkok as Japan, but with some differences. Most employers in Thailand don't give a housing subsidy or a transportation allowance. However, overall cost of living is low (i.e., rent, cell phone, internet, utilities), so it makes up for the lack of assistance.
EFL Sensei: Free EFL/ESL Lessons For Teaching English Overseas
http://www.eflsensei.com
uniliterate

Unread post by uniliterate »

I think if you want the big money it has to be the Middle East. A friend in Dubai is raking in the cash, and also in Saudi Arabia you can make a lot. You might live a rather lonely life though, but that all adds to the savings. After you have done about a year there you could try another place. Another recommendation is to consider doing and MA or even PhD, then you can work at a university and your earnings should be a lot more. I'm currently doing my PhD and I never looked back after my MA. It's an investment, but worthwhile if you see TEFL as a long-term career.

Richard