Help with first lesson plan

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Dolliano

Help with first lesson plan

Unread post by Dolliano »

Hi. I am a newly qualified TEFL teacher about to start teaching one to one to a very basic Spanish adult who wishes to learn english for an interview. I would like any ideas please that you think may help me :?:
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Help with first lesson plan

Unread post by Lucy »

I suggest you get a good course book such as English File and work your way through that. You can start the first lesson with numbers and basic questions such as what's your name and where are you from. That'll give you a better idea of level and pointers for the second lesson. Remember to focus on pronunciation and listening. These will be important in an interview.

LUCY
MarinaA

Unread post by MarinaA »

Do you have any idea about what type of interview he needs to learn English for? Is it a job interview? What kind of job is it?
I really have no idea what it means to want to learn English for an interview, but if you know the answers to the questions above, you could then have an idea about what type of vocabulary and expressions to teach.
On the other hand, as you say that your student is a beginner, here are some free lesson plans with a variety of activities for beginners that could help.
Good luck!
http://teachers.onlineenglishexpert.com ... son-plans/
Marita

Unread post by Marita »

After analysing your sts needs, either for a job interview or any other kind of interview you ask them to describe himself physically and then move on to some personal characteristics he has. It is certainly true that the best topic is to talk about one-self. After they have learnt the necessary vocabulary you can move on to teach them phrases that may help if there is a long pause, like "If I may say" or fillers of hesitation like "I mean" or "what I am trying to say is..." or any others you feel suitable. Tjhis is very challenging and you should tell your student that more than learning a lot he is going to practice for that particular appointment / interview.