Reading books for young learners

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

rossenglish

Reading books for young learners

Unread post by rossenglish »

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any books which would be suitable for young learners that are using the Starters, Movers and Flyers books?

I am looking for specific books which will enhance their reading skills and maybe work on a level basis (reading level 1 -20).

Any recommendations?
teachnlearn

Re: Reading books for young learners

Unread post by teachnlearn »

Hey Ross, my students are still only just starting to pick up English and since I have access to technology, we have installed some free reading games. They have been most effective coupled with worksheets and an activity where kids draw and write their own story and exchange it. Then they read their classmates stories.

I Can Read provided me the insight for books to pick up from level 1-5. I think there may be more levels. I always do Suess stories though.

Some books -
1. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
2. All about Frogs
3. Clifford the Big Red Dog
4. Miss Nelson Is Missing
5. Green Eggs and Ham
Reading Games makes teaching fun!
rossenglish

Re: Reading books for young learners

Unread post by rossenglish »

Thanks for your reply. I have taken a look at those books and they would be perfect for my pre-school/first year students. I am looking for something more structured though, when I was at school we had reading level 1(green) level 2 (red) etc.. I can't remember what they were called though.

I am going to take a look at "I can read" and see what it has to offer. I suggest that you take a look at "muvizu" it's animated movie making software and is really easy to manage. It's a fantastic piece of software.

After a story writing lesson (based on the present continuous, learners 8-9years) we had a vote for the best story and we made it into a movie with "movizu". It's an extremly effective way of motivating your students.

Thanks again for your help.