CELTA vs ACCREDITAT & Job Prospects

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Susan

Riffster
Registered Member

CELTA vs ACCREDITAT & Job Prospects

Unread postby Riffster » 17 Apr 2014, 12:39

Hi there.

I'm about to commit to doing my TEFL training, but I'm a bit concerned by the different forms of accreditation here. It seems that so far as I can see, CELTA is the "benchmark" by which other accreditation is measured, but they seem to be very focussed on full time courses and are run far less frequently where I am (Birmingham UK) than other courses.

I have found some interesting distance learning courses, that offer a serious cost advantage, but how will my employability be affected if I choose one of those courses? Does the accreditation make a big difference? Do schools accept one form more than another? etc

Any insight would be really useful, thanks.

Riff

Eric D R
Registered Member

Re: CELTA vs ACCREDITAT & Job Prospects

Unread postby Eric D R » 21 May 2014, 21:33

I looked into the same question before deciding to take the CELTA course. I almost decided to take another course, but after calling around to various employers, I discovered that anyone who had heard of CELTA was in favor of hiring teachers who had it. And all of the employers were wary of anyting else.

Anyway, I took the CELTA course and found it very useful.

Riffster
Registered Member

Re: CELTA vs ACCREDITAT & Job Prospects

Unread postby Riffster » 22 May 2014, 13:17

Thanks Eric you're confirming my experience too! There seem to be a lot of schools out there offering TEFL training but none of them seem to be recognised by the employers other than Celta or Trinity

Return to “General Teacher Discussion”