So do/have/am/was/did/ I, Nor do/have/am/was/did/ I etc

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

broukitbairn

So do/have/am/was/did/ I, Nor do/have/am/was/did/ I etc

Unread post by broukitbairn »

I have a group of Chinese elementary students and want to present the above structures but am unsure how to do so. How can I help them see that that they should repeat the auxiliary, and use do/does/did where there is none? How can I highlight the fact that we need different structures depending on whether we are agreeing with a positive or a negative statement?
Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Ely

Unread post by Ely »

From EnglishClub.com:

http://help.englishclub.com/knowledgeba ... s/read/594

I use the following web page:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

It's easier to find the answers in a grammar book like Michael Swan's Practical English Usage with clear explanations.
charreck

Re: So do/have/am/was/did/ I, Nor do/have/am/was/did/ I etc

Unread post by charreck »

Do Does etc depends on the RULE I do. He Does, She Does, It does, You do, They do, We do. Remeber He she and It is Third person singular, it has a rule which is the follwoing:- Verb + S or ES. Know it and enjoy.
broukitbairn@yahoo.co.uk wrote:I have a group of Chinese elementary students and want to present the above structures but am unsure how to do so. How can I help them see that that they should repeat the auxiliary, and use do/does/did where there is none? How can I highlight the fact that we need different structures depending on whether we are agreeing with a positive or a negative statement?
:D
charreck

Re: So do/have/am/was/did/ I, Nor do/have/am/was/did/ I etc

Unread post by charreck »

:D Remember did is past tense. I did, he did, she did, it did, they did etc. Because it is PAST TENSE the verb rule of V+S or ES does not apply. Hey that applies for future tense too. I will, He will do, they will do, It will do. ETC. Remember the rule is there. Follow it.
broukitbairn@yahoo.co.uk wrote:I have a group of Chinese elementary students and want to present the above structures but am unsure how to do so. How can I help them see that that they should repeat the auxiliary, and use do/does/did where there is none? How can I highlight the fact that we need different structures depending on whether we are agreeing with a positive or a negative statement?
stef

so - nor

Unread post by stef »

Hi!

I have already taught my French students this grammar point.
I teach "so do I -with- neither do I".

It takes them a lot of practice.

You can play a card games : they pick a card, the first one says its name : "I have a 6" or "I have got a 5"
make it easy, only use the numbers, and few of them.
the second one compares his card to the previous one : "I don't" , or "so do/have I"

That way, you teach short answers.

The thrid one is the one who really works when the cards are different : "neither do I".

That's for beginners.

Otherwise, work on brothers and sisters : "how many brothers and sisters have you got?"
"I am on only child", "I am not an only child", then the next may say : "so am I", or "neither am I".
"I have a sister"
"I don't have a brother"
Then make them comment
"he has a large family", ask : what about you?

Ask them about food, sports, tv, collections.
once they understand the principle, work fully introducing : "I can/'t sing/swim/play the guitar..." and ask them.
Move to "Tomorrow, I will rest / stay at home /wake up late..." and get some "so will I"
etc...
If you have a blackboard, write each example of each modal (have, can, ...) so they feel good about producing a sentence they selected and they can write it down to remember it.

I give them homework : a 10 examples exercise to prepare. Then I test them next time.
Good luck!