Prospective teacher; saving money?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Checkerboard

Prospective teacher; saving money?

Unread post by Checkerboard »

Hello!

First of all, apologies - I know you get a lot of these "hi I'm new!" threads, but I'd appreciate any help or advice! I also plan on staying here for the long-run as I've seen a lot of great advice on here so far!

I'm British and in my early 20s with a 1st class BA in English, and plan on doing an intensive 4-week CELTA in May, which involves a good few hours of practical teaching to immigrants. This is ideal since I have no significant ties holding me back here, so to me it seems like the perfect excuse to travel and make a bit of cash for when I get back.

That said - I have no doubt that TEFL will be a great experience, but one of my concerns - like many - is saving money. I know TEFL's not known for being a particularly lucrative career path, but I don't plan on doing it forever; two or three years max.

Although my main concern is the personal experience and the memories I'll get out of these few years, I *don't* want to return to England after 2-3 years having made zero financial "progress" and be in pretty-much the same situation I'm in now (unemployed, living with parents and not massively thrilled about it).

Don't get me wrong - I don't expect to make huge savings doing TEFL or anything. But if I could come home with maybe three or four grand more than I had before in the bank to get me on my feet, that would be ideal, since I have a nice little business plan set up.

I know this is possible, and countries like Taiwan, Korea and Vietnam (and in certain cases China) have come up quite a bit during my research. I certainly have my eye on the Far East, but does anyone else have any further advice for me? Any personal experiences with savings and the like? I also have friends out there who tell me that pay rises and progression within schools is far more common than it is over here in the West - can anyone clarify/call BS on that?

Any and all help would be very much appreciated!
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Prospective teacher; saving money?

Unread post by Susan »

Hi Checkerboard,

Welcome! Have you thought of the Gulf countries (Saudi and others)? It's not a life style that suits everybody, but you can save a lto while working there.

Susan
Checkerboard

Unread post by Checkerboard »

Hi Susan,

I've definitely had a look at the Gulf States - including Oman - and the money to be made there is certainly a point of interest. But from what I've heard, they tend to require quite a lot of experience, and in some cases even an MA. Do you know how true this is?

Thanks for your reply!
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

No, sorry, I don't know. I haven't worked in the Gulf.

the best way to find out is to just do a job search or contact schools and ask them what their requirements are.

Best of luck!

Susan
teachnlearn

Unread post by teachnlearn »

You can save 40-60% of your savings, dependent on your lifestyle, in countries like Thailand and Korea and to some extent, China. The best paying TEFL jobs, however are in the Middle East. Especially Dubai and Saudi. With Dubai, you need experience with teaching and a certificate. Saudi, Oman is more relaxed. The good thing is that since you are a 'Native English Speaker', you won't have trouble finding these jobs!
Reading Games makes teaching fun!