How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

olihill

How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL?

Unread post by olihill »

Hi everyone,

Firslty, a bit about myself. I am from the UK and I'm 22 years of age. I am currently studying for an MA in Economics from York Uni after I graduated from the same uni this year with a BA.

I first became aware of teaching english abroad as a career option around 6 months ago and since then I have been doing a lot of research into it, and also spent a lot of time thinking about how amazing it would be! However, I haven't really found answers to the following questions:

1. How hard is it to get a tefl job with zero experience? I am hoping to take the 4 week CELTA course in the summer of 2013 so I should have a highly recognised qualification. From there how should I best proceed to find a TEFL job? Ideally I would like to go to Spain or South/Central America as I have some spanish and think it would be great to both teach english and improve me language skills at the same time! I have seen plenty of jobs advertised on various websites, but I have no idea of the level of competition or even if these jobs are legit?

2. How hard is the actual experience of teaching? How did you feel on your first day?

The reason I ask this is because I have a job offer to work in the City starting in September 2013, and I dont want to give it up if im not going to get a job. I wouldnt mind working for free for a few months if it meant I could get future employment. I would be really grateful for any help people on this forum can give and it would be great to hear some other peoples experience. Im also aware this question has probably been asked before so im sorry if I have broken some kind of house rule.

Thanks

Oliver
olihill

Re: How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL?

Unread post by olihill »

Anybody??
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

With a CELTA you will definitely get a job, especially if you are flexible about the first place you teach - then with a year's experience as well you can almost teach anywhere. The problem is finding decent jobs and making an actual career out of it...
olihill

Unread post by olihill »

Alex Case wrote:With a CELTA you will definitely get a job, especially if you are flexible about the first place you teach - then with a year's experience as well you can almost teach anywhere. The problem is finding decent jobs and making an actual career out of it...
Thanks Alex. No I certainly wouldn't be too choosy, although would certainly prefer Europe or S America for my first job, then move East after a few years. Its something Im thinking of doing for 4-5 years and then maybe starting a career in the UK. Would be fantastic life experience and be great to experience other cultures.
guyjones

Unread post by guyjones »

Hey Oliver I don't know if you are still looking but I found a job in South Korea with no experience, armed only with a degree and online TEFL! Being my first job abroad I chose to use a UK based recruiter Teach to Travel who really helped me out with organising documents and all that. Though I have to say its been pretty hardcore I've been having a great year so far, there's no better way to really get into another culture than living there and working with its young people
morteza

Re: How hard is it to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL?

Unread post by morteza »

Hi guyjones,

So...are you pleased with this teach to travel website? Do they not take too much of a chunk out of your pay? will you kindly give some more information regarding your teaching job in South Korea?(working hours and salary) And are you a native speaker of English?