**HOW TO ACHIEVE A VERY GOOD GRADE IN CELTA COURSE?**

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

absolutely

**HOW TO ACHIEVE A VERY GOOD GRADE IN CELTA COURSE?**

Unread post by absolutely »

Hi all,

I would like to achieve a "Pass A" grade for the CELTA course.

For those who have done, or who have teached it, just what would it take to achieve a "Pass A"?

What exact skills (and level of skills) are required to reach it?

And, what books are the best for succeeding in this course?

If you could reccomend other threads [or websites], that would be wonderful.

My thanks to all :D :)

Regards,
P
Joe
Admin

Re: **HOW TO ACHIEVE A VERY GOOD GRADE IN CELTA COURSE?**

Unread post by Joe »

To start with you could look at The Ultimate Guide to CELTA Webinar at:
http://youtu.be/reJE1B-5ifY :)
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

I got a Pass A when I did my CELTA, which I put down to a couple of factors. First, I had previously taken an online TEFL course, which meant that the basic principles of lesson-planning were not new to me. I was also familiar with a lot of the terminology.

Secondly, I worked incredibly hard, and listened carefully to the advice of my tutors. I made sure to address any issues raised in my next lesson. Finally, I put a lot of effort into managing the workload. Doing the five-week course meant that we finished early on Fridays, and while my fellow trainees went to the pub, I used my free-time to plan ahead and do some research for the written assignments.

The CELTA is every bit as stressful as people say. And I did a five-week course! I honestly have no idea how people cope with the four-week one! I guess what I'm saying is that rather than thinking about your preferred grade, you should focus on learning how to teach and getting through the course. In the end, having the CELTA is what matters. The higher grade is only really useful for getting your first job. After that, you'll be trading on your experience.

Briona

PS: FYI, the past participle of 'teach' is NOT 'teached'!
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
absolutely

Brilliant! Thanks Briona...

Well, i've done a law degree at MA level, so i can definately relate to some of the things you have mentioned. I should be able to get a good grade if i implement some (or all) of the things I did at MA level.

Can you reccomend any good books or websites that you found extremely helpful for achieving your Pass A grade?

& ThX for the link Josef. cheers
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi again,

Once you have been accepted onto a CELTA course, your provider will give you a list of recommended reading. To be honest, while I bought some of the books, without context I couldn't really relate to what I was reading.

I definitely don't think the little pre-course reading I did had any bearing on my final grade. As I said in my previous post, there were three things that I felt helped me, the most important of which was taking all criticism on board and making a concerted effort to address it in my next observed lesson.

Of course this is just my opinion - others will undoubtedly have different advice/thoughts. If you have Facebook, I would recommend joining the CELTA group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/3925889087/) and chatting to people there.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
absolutely

Fantastic.

Your responses are very insightful.

All the best,

P
hw240

Unread post by hw240 »

Awalls86
Rising Star

Unread post by Awalls86 »

As Briona says the grade is somewhat unimportant. Obviously if you have a Pass A or Pass B, you'll probably mention it in your first few gigs, but then it'll be all about what you have done since then.

I was told only 5% get Pass A, a further 20% get Pass B. There were some people on my course who had taught for 6-12 months and didn't get either, so it's good to aim high but I wouldn't be too disappointed if you don't get it.

It seems to me that the grading marks the difference from when you start to when you finish. If you show you have worked on the feedback you're given after each teaching practice that will help. It's actually really simple in one way - just focus on doing the things they tell you, really well.
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

Hi. It's really good to set yourself a goal like you have. As someone said, the grade is probably not important for getting work though. To prepare, thinking back to my CELTA 10 years ago, I would do some revision or study on teaching from coursebooks - what material do you use, what do you discard, and why ? It's a general course covering quite a few bases, so difficult to give much steer. Hard work & a bit stressful it is, but if you do all the tasks, participate and soak up the tutorial sessions, you'll be fine.