Work in Hong Kong...

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Peteg

Work in Hong Kong...

Unread post by Peteg »

I am in talks with a company called English Education Service Hong Kong about a job working with them. The job does not require experience however I have a year of teaching in the UK under my belt.

I have trawled the interenet to get as much info as possible on the institution but can only find a shoddy website written almost solely in Cantonese. I haven't found any talk of them on the usual sharing forums which may or may not be a good thing.

They seem to want to get my on board and push it all through quite quickly. As a result it seems I have to pay for a return airfare as my VISA - which they will sort out - won't reach me in time.

On paper it seem quite good but I only have a couple of emails and a Skype interview to go on. There doesn't seem to be evidence of them anywhere! Is it me being paranoid? Anybody heard of them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: Work in Hong Kong...

Unread post by pokedmund »

Hi there, I'm an native English teacher whose been working in hk for the past two-three years. Asian looking btw.

1) I've never heard of your centre, BUT this is not uncommon. There are maybe hundreds of tuition centres based in and around hk (dare I say thousands?)

I looked on google and found the website. I would say that they are a genuine centre, albeit not a large centre.

2) do you have a tefl certification? The best ones to have are trinity tesol or CELTA. These would get you a teaching job in a tuition centre relatively easily.

BUT, if you're looking for the better teaching places, schools and the hkgov NeT teaching programs would have been a better bet. You could still try to apply through those channels now but it may be a bit difficult as applications ended in feb/march 2012.
chelngaz

Re: Working hours in Hong Kong NET Schools...

Unread post by chelngaz »

I have just applied for a teaching job through the NET system in Hong Kong and would love any feedback about the life of a teacher overseas. I am worried that you have to work 10 hour days and weekends and I really want to go overseas to work as well as enjoy a new culture and discover new places not be tied up in a class room every day. Life is too short..
Simonnnn

Unread post by Simonnnn »

Hey pokedmund,

Since you are already working in Hong Kong, is there anyway you could see if there's any teaching positions at your school at the moment?

I've got the Non-Caucasian syndrome... but I have 5 years teaching in China, Chongqing and Shanghai cities, British Native, Mandarin speaking, TEFL certification, 3 University degrees including BA, National Diploma, and I am currently teaching young kids in a kindergarten tuition center in Shanghai. Ive been applying to Hong Kong for about 2 months, but basically had no replies.

Since you are also Non-Caucasian British Native, I was wondering if you had anybody I could contact, or somebody who would hire other ethnics, or even positions in your school.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards
/Simon.
J_nnifer

Unread post by J_nnifer »

Hey guys,

I recently applied to the NET scheme and I'm so anxious to hear back from them! I have about 2 years experience teaching in HK and am quite familiar with the race issue. I'm basically Chinese American with the "advantage" of a non-Chinese last name, which seems to confuse everyone I meet. I've gone to interviews where they basically took one look at me and said "oh, I thought you would be a foreigner". There is no getting used to racism, especially from my own people!

I was wondering if there are ANY Asians out there that have actually gotten into the NET scheme AND chosen by as school?? Or should I just stop dreaming?