Visa and Europe

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Europe. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Visa and Europe

Unread postby Leningrad+ » 23 Jan 2014, 22:43

Hello All,

Bear with me as I'm new to the site and a beginner TEFL-er :) I am interested in teaching in Europe, specifically during the summer months (June - August). I am an American citizen and was informed by my TEFL institute director that European schools do not sponsor work visas..is this correct? If anyone has an answer to this or any advice regarding short term teaching in Europe, I would be very grateful!

Thanks All,

Anya
Leningrad+
Registered Member

Re: Visa and Europe

Unread postby Briona » 26 Jan 2014, 00:38

Hi Anya,

I'm afraid the advice you've been given is correct. EU hiring laws dictate that employers can only hire a non-EU citizen where there were no suitably-qualified EU candidates who could do the job. As you can imagine, this is not a very likely proposition.

If you're interested in working in Western Europe for an entire academic year (as opposed to just for a summer), there are one or two programmes that will enable you to do that. For more information on those, and on teaching in Europe, have a look at the advice guide I recently wrote: http://thirtysomethingteachertraveller. ... urope.html

Hope that helps.

Briona
Briona
Gold Member

Return to Jobs Discussion - Europe