Where do I start?!

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Mark_C

Where do I start?!

Unread post by Mark_C »

Hi!

Thankfully I've been warned about the dreaded ' i to i ' but I (and my friend) are still very, very keen to try and find teaching jobs in somewhere like China or Vietnam.

To paint a picture - we've both not got degrees, and seem to be totally bemused when it comes to even knowing where to start as regards obtaining qualifications, looking for work etc.

Can someone please just give us a starting point, any teaching recruitment sites, links to 'good' TEFL course providers etc...

Cheers,

Mark
jaygotham

Re: Where do I start?!

Unread post by jaygotham »

Hey, so I was in the same situation and found a free volunteering programme in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It's a sweet school and you don't need any experience or qualifications. They ask you to work for 5 hours monday-friday over 3 months. It's a pretty good way of getting started because as soon as you have experience it will be easier to get paid work elsewhere.
Mark_C

Unread post by Mark_C »

I'm guessing if it was free from their point of view, it was voluntary on your part too?
Did they pay for / arrange any accommodation etc for you?
J-Marianne

Unread post by J-Marianne »

Hi Mark,
If you are still looking after all this time, I can recommend a few places for teaching ESL English, as I have lived here for many years. What is needed is a teacher happy to teach 2.5-6 years mainly. If you have that basic liking of children and are good fun, that is about 80% of what is needed for these ages. The British Council in Hong Kong, and TEFL at English for Asia are the two best places to receive training. Good Luck!