Help! Colour of skin

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Olive

Help! Colour of skin

Unread post by Olive »

I nearly broke down in tears this afternoon after being told that I would not be considered for a job post in Thailand because of the colour of my skin. I was told that my chances of getting a job are very slim because I'm black. I'm posting this because I fail to understand how the colour of my skin would interfere with my job or performing abilities. I refuse to believe the agency I'm working with, are they a bunch of racists? or could this possibly be true?
Joe
Admin

Re: Help! Colour of skin

Unread post by Joe »

Hi Olive: I don't blame you wanting to cry over this because it's totally absurd and unfair. I hope that some other teachers can give you advice about Thailand. I will check it out from some friends too and get back to you.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Olive

Unread post by Olive »

Thanks Josef
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

From a friend teaching in Thailand: If you're a native English speaker with qualifications and you can perform well you shouldn't have a problem. The schools are just looking for capable teachers. Hard to find these days. Appearance and dress are very important. If you can teach well you should be ok.

Hope that helps, and that others add their comments.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven