More CELTA questions from a newbie

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Susan

LC-Chicago
Registered Member

More CELTA questions from a newbie

Unread postby LC-Chicago » 05 Nov 2013, 20:44

I am in my 40's, have a bachelor's degree (nothing to do with teaching/language) and have never taught before. I am considering a CELTA course in Chicago, where I live. Is it realistic to think that I would be able to: 1) learn enough through the CELTA course to be able to teach and 2) be able to get a job with just those qualifications?

I am interested in South America (even though I know the pay is horrible), Turkey or Eastern Europe.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

MartinHejhal
Silver Member

Re: More CELTA questions from a newbie

Unread postby MartinHejhal » 07 Nov 2013, 14:16

Hello LC,

Yes, wou will be able to learn teaching in a good CELTA/TEFL course. It is very intense and you will have to continue learning also after the course, but it is a sufficient start and you will be able to stand in front of a class and teach them.

CELTA or TEFL certificate + BA is a good qualification that will get you a job. Definitely good qualification for Eastern Europe (I'm from Prague, the Czech Republic, and this is our requirement for native speakers of English)

Good luck,

LC-Chicago
Registered Member

Unread postby LC-Chicago » 15 Nov 2013, 17:54

Thanks Martin! I was just accepted into a CELTA program and will be starting in February. Looking forward to start a new chapter in my life!!

MartinHejhal
Silver Member

Unread postby MartinHejhal » 19 Nov 2013, 16:22

Glad to hear that. Call on me if you come to Prague, we could have an opening waiting for you!

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”