Is a chain school the best option?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

DubiousB

Is a chain school the best option?

Unread post by DubiousB »

As a recent graduate (and now CELTA holder), I've been looking at online job info with more than a vague sensation that I'm out of my depth in choosing which route into tefl will suit me best. Really, I just want to go abroad with other young teachers in a similar situation (living with other teachers would be ideal), and not have an uncommonly confusing array of logistics to deal with. Of course, I'm sure someone has already covered this pretty comprehensively, but in my various researches I sure as hell haven't found many particularly helpful details about how I can achieve this most cowardly of goals.
DubiousB

Re: Is a chain school the best option?

If anyone knows of info on this that I've missed, could you please direct me to it?
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

You could do worse than cut your TEFL teeth with a chain school. I actually started out with International House (http://ihworld.com/jobs), partly because they are a 'big name' in the TEFL world, and partly because they are quite helpful when it comes to organising visas (where applicable), accommodation, bank accounts, tax numbers, etc. Be advised though that the schools are franchises. Consequently, not all International House schools have been created equal! Of the 150 schools, it's not hard to find really negative reviews of a fair few of them.

Have you thought about where you want to work?

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
DubiousB

Hi Briona,

I would preferably like to work in Europe (I'm in the UK now), but I'm not sure where to look for jobs with that kind of infrastructure (ie, accommodation with other teachers, etc). As I said, if possible I'd like to find a relaxed environment with other rookie TEFLers, if that's at all feasible.

Thanks for your help
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi again,

You've literally just missed the peak hiring time for jobs in Europe. Of course, there are some jobs available, but nowhere near as many as there were a month ago. There will be a smaller hiring peak in very early January, more often than not to replace the teachers who jumped ship at Christmas. You'd probably have to hit the ground running so these may not be the best positions for a newbie.

As I said in my previous post, International House schools generally provide a fair amount of assistance. Accommodation is likely to be shared with other teachers, although these teachers will probably not be newbies as schools tend to hire a mix of rookies and experienced teachers.

I'm afraid that there isn't a jobsite specifically aimed at newbies. For jobs in Europe, your best bet is http://www.tefl.com/jobs/search.html. You will have to read through the ads that interest you to find out what assistance is offered. Help with tax numbers and social security generally comes as standard. You may be given assistance with opening a bank account, although in two of the countries I've worked in I was simply pointed in the direction of the bank and told to sort it out myself! Likewise, accommodation may be found for you or, as is the case here in Madrid, you may have to find your own accommodation, which isn't as scary or difficult as it sounds.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
MartinHejhal

Unread post by MartinHejhal »

Hello,
not sure about situation in other countries, but most schools in the Czech republic do not provide accommodation for their teachers. However, good school here would provide accommodation support and offer some sort of hostel/guest house where you get better prices because you came through them.Also, they would offer emailing their teachers with your requirements to see if somebody's looking for a shared flat. Some schools cooperate with real estate agents and their teachers get good discounts. As for a chain school - I would try to go for either a big school or a chain, as you are more likely to get what you were promised.
Good luck,
Martin, http://www.liveteflprague.com
Martin @ LiveTEFL/SPEVACEK Languages
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10511339199 ... rel=author
Awalls86
Rising Star

Unread post by Awalls86 »

There are pros and cons to both.
In a chain school you may find your dealings with the school are more consistent and they are able to offer you greater benefits. Additionally, the chain may be a plus on your CV as your next school will have heard of it, and may offer opportunities for promotion or moving to another school in the chain. On the negative side, you may find that they dictate what and how you teach, leaving you with little space for creativity.

In an independent school, you may find yourself in a smaller team and therefore have greater responsibility for your work. This will help you to build a CV if you wish to stay in TEFL because you will find it easier to find extra responsibilities to take on. As a negative though, the independent may require greater flexibility from you, particularly if they are new on the scene and still working out their own operations.