What are my chances?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

orange-sky

What are my chances?

Unread post by orange-sky »

I just wanted to ask whether you would advise TEFL for me. I have a strong interest in other cultures as well as education and it is something I have been thinking about for a while.

I also wanted to know, honestly, what my chances of finding a job are. I am a native English speaker (UK), have a BA hons degree in English Literature and History and have been working as a learning support assistant in a secondary school for 3 years. Part of my responsibilities include planning and delivering lessons to small groups of students who have poor literacy skills. I have also done a number of courses due to this job involving manual handling and child protection.

I'm looking into doing an online tefl course 120 hours (due to work commitements) as well as its teaching young learners 30 hour extra.
becki

Re: What are my chances?

Unread post by becki »

If you are a native speaker and have a BA, then you are qualified to teach EFL in most countries. Your concentration area in undergrad doesn't matter so much. A TEFL certificate will improve your chances of getting a higher-paying job or a job at a higher-quality school. I would definitely recommend doing the TEFL course.

All the best!
EFL Sensei: Free EFL/ESL Lessons For Teaching English Overseas
http://www.eflsensei.com