Desperately Seeking Advice: a prospective teacher

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Miss Margo

Desperately Seeking Advice: a prospective teacher

Unread post by Miss Margo »

Good day all. I am an African female with a university degree honours degree and have recently obtained TEFL certification. For months I have been desperately searching for a job, but I find that most jobs available for TEFL instructors are biased (understandably) towards 'native' English speakers. I believe my certification, job experience, and references speak for themselves, but this has still not helped me to find a job. It is tremendously hard not to get discouraged, however I also tell myself that surely TEFL courses would not be open to non-native English speakers if TEFL knew that we would have no job prospects?! I would be most grateful if anyone could give me any advice as to a particular country to apply to, or any recruiting agencies to make contact with. Any other helpful comments or information would also be highly appreciated. Thank you. Kind regards
Joe
Admin

Re: Desperately Seeking Advice: a prospective teacher

Unread post by Joe »

Hi Margo. Can you give a bit more info about yourself? Like where you live and what countries you've tried. I certainly wouldn't give up. I personally have met African teachers in France and Thailand, and I'm sure other countries are equally welcoming.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Miss Margo

Re: Desperately Seeking Advice: a prospective teacher

Unread post by Miss Margo »

Hi Matter. I am Congolese though I live in Nigeria and I have applied to mostly Asian countries including China, South Korea, Japan and Vietnam. I have looked at European countries and find that most of them only want EU citizens. Even a lot of the Asian countries only want teachers from the US, UK, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia or Canada so it is very discouraging. I have now sent close to 90 applications to different countries and have yet to hear back from anyone.