Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Unread postby rachelb » 28 Mar 2013, 16:19

Hello again,

I am still weighing up the options before deciding how to go about getting the Cambridge Delta. My latest bright idea is to do modules 1 and 3 without enrolling on any kind of course at all, but instead to do them entirely through self-study and then take the exam / submit the Extended Assignment through an open centre. My plan would be to do the Module 1 exam this June, do Module 2 via Bell's blended course from September --> November, and in the meantime be working on the Module 3 assignment to submit in December. Is this crazy talk or could it be doable?

My motivation is not primarily financial. I'd ideally like to complete the Delta this year, but I left it too late to apply for distance courses (my preferred way to study - an intensive or part-time course does not appeal, for various reasons) that began in January/February/March time. I would be more than happy to pay to do a course if it was really worth it, but I am wondering if it actually would be.

So, my questions are these. Apart from having the benefit of a structured programme, online tutor support and the opportunity to interact with other students, what does doing a course offer that independent study doesn't? Are the kind of materials provided, particularly for Module 1, such an invaluable resource that they can't be substituted through self-study materials? Are the items on this reading list, links to journals included http://thedistancedelta.com/howitworks/books.aspx, enough to get me through Module 1 or are there any glaring omissions? By the way, I have library access to all the books on there, so getting my hands on resources would not be a problem.

Personal background that might be relevant: I have 7 years of experience in teaching, so I have already accumulated quite a bit of practical and theoretical knowledge along the way. I would be teaching at the same time, so I could experiment with various approaches and materials to see their practical application, as the handbook suggests. Finally, I am generally pretty good at studying and being self-motivated when I really have to be!

Sorry for the very long post, and thanks in advance for any responses.
rachelb
Registered Member

Re: Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Unread postby rachelb » 18 Aug 2013, 18:11

Well, in answer to my own, overlong question: yes, it is possible to prepare for and pass Delta M1 (with Distinction btw) all on one's lonesome in 10 weeks, as long as one has access to resources and past papers and studies like a demon.
rachelb
Registered Member

Unread postby Susan » 19 Aug 2013, 21:44

It sounds as if you passed. Congratulations!
Susan
Admin

Unread postby cjcourts » 18 Mar 2014, 12:12

Hi Rachel, I came across your post whilst looking for an answer as to whether or not it was possible to do it independently! Congratulations on your distinction, what an inspiration! I want to do the same in September hopefully. I wondered whether or not it was easy to get hold of the past papers?
cjcourts
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion