Gap year travelling and teach?

For general discussion between teachers - or use one of the forums below for more specific topics.

Moderator: Susan

Gap year travelling and teach?

Unread postby stuwelly » 06 Aug 2013, 15:16

Hi,

Im trying to decide whether to start tefl, im taking redundancy in work and heading off travelling to south america for a few months then other parts of the world. Ive read some courses saying the weekend taster is ideal for those wishing to travel and pick up some work in a gap year. other research ive done says you needed minimum 120hrs course plus assessment.

From looking at jobs online minimum job periods is typically 6 months which is too long for me. Im really interested in a two week placement or so, so I can experience the culture and environment and potential improve my spanish. Am I being too optimistic? At the moment I dont see it as a career more an experience of engaging with locals and if it covers some costs along the way all the better. I dont like the idea of being tied to a long (More than month) contract, but when funds are getting low would consider it a bit longer.

For such an idea Im finding it difficult tto justify the cost and most of all effort of doing a CELTA course as it seems like a mammoth of work. Am I being realistic in my aim? Feel free to give me a reality check any feedback welcomed.

Stuart a soon to be 28 year old retired engineer
stuwelly
Registered Member

Re: Gap year travelling and teach?

Unread postby Susan » 06 Aug 2013, 16:19

Hi Stuart,

I'm sure you'd be able to find a job somewhere for about 2 weeks. But think about it from the students' or school's point of view. If you were investing in a language course (or any other course) would you want a teacher who'll only stay 2 weeks? And what would an employer think? I can understand that you want short-term contracts but I really think that 2 weeks is pushing it.

Susan
Susan
Admin

Unread postby stuwelly » 06 Aug 2013, 22:12

Iv had similar thoughts I appreciate what im proposing is a selfish ideal. Although I know of friends that have studied for a weeks language course but then your hardly going to have new teachers on that course.

ok what about a month?

Would just doing the weekend course be worthwhile? I appreciate the additional hours are for improving your skills as a teacher. If you do a 20 hour weekend course can you supplement that with 100hrs course to achieve your 120 suggested minimum. or is it a case of start over?
stuwelly
Registered Member

Unread postby Susan » 07 Aug 2013, 16:21

It's very difficult to say anything about the length of a contract. At the end fo the day it comes down to a school's planning and being in the right place when they need you. As you asy, some schools offer week-long courses but most of them will expect their teachers to hang around at least a few months.

A weekend course is better than no course but with that qualification, you wouldn't get the best jobs on offer. if you want to make a career out of teaching, a CELTA is the way to go.
Susan
Admin

Unread postby addymartin » 24 Dec 2013, 11:00

Hi Stuwelly

You can travel and teach in India, Nepal, Thailand, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa with any volunteering organization such as volunteeringsolutions.
addymartin
Registered Member

Return to General Teacher Discussion