Gap year travelling and teach?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

stuwelly

Gap year travelling and teach?

Unread post by stuwelly »

Hi,

Im trying to decide whether to start tefl, im taking redundancy in work and heading off travelling to south america for a few months then other parts of the world. Ive read some courses saying the weekend taster is ideal for those wishing to travel and pick up some work in a gap year. other research ive done says you needed minimum 120hrs course plus assessment.

From looking at jobs online minimum job periods is typically 6 months which is too long for me. Im really interested in a two week placement or so, so I can experience the culture and environment and potential improve my spanish. Am I being too optimistic? At the moment I dont see it as a career more an experience of engaging with locals and if it covers some costs along the way all the better. I dont like the idea of being tied to a long (More than month) contract, but when funds are getting low would consider it a bit longer.

For such an idea Im finding it difficult tto justify the cost and most of all effort of doing a CELTA course as it seems like a mammoth of work. Am I being realistic in my aim? Feel free to give me a reality check any feedback welcomed.

Stuart a soon to be 28 year old retired engineer
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Gap year travelling and teach?

Unread post by Susan »

Hi Stuart,

I'm sure you'd be able to find a job somewhere for about 2 weeks. But think about it from the students' or school's point of view. If you were investing in a language course (or any other course) would you want a teacher who'll only stay 2 weeks? And what would an employer think? I can understand that you want short-term contracts but I really think that 2 weeks is pushing it.

Susan
stuwelly

Unread post by stuwelly »

Iv had similar thoughts I appreciate what im proposing is a selfish ideal. Although I know of friends that have studied for a weeks language course but then your hardly going to have new teachers on that course.

ok what about a month?

Would just doing the weekend course be worthwhile? I appreciate the additional hours are for improving your skills as a teacher. If you do a 20 hour weekend course can you supplement that with 100hrs course to achieve your 120 suggested minimum. or is it a case of start over?
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

It's very difficult to say anything about the length of a contract. At the end fo the day it comes down to a school's planning and being in the right place when they need you. As you asy, some schools offer week-long courses but most of them will expect their teachers to hang around at least a few months.

A weekend course is better than no course but with that qualification, you wouldn't get the best jobs on offer. if you want to make a career out of teaching, a CELTA is the way to go.
addymartin

Unread post by addymartin »

Hi Stuwelly

You can travel and teach in India, Nepal, Thailand, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa with any volunteering organization such as volunteeringsolutions.
teachnlearn

Unread post by teachnlearn »

Stu, I'm assuming you're from one of the Native English speaker nations. In which case you don't need a TEFL or CELTA degree. Depending on where you decide to teach, some places offer you courses to get your certificate while you are teaching. It is cheaper and it provides you the practical experience alongside all the theory you will learn.
(I just realised this post was made ages ago. How's it going? What have you decided?)
Reading Games makes teaching fun!